ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UNIVSERSITY FEE OF HSMP DEPENDENT

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pashu
Newly Registered

UNIVSERSITY FEE OF HSMP DEPENDENT

Post by pashu » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:13 pm

Whether dependent of HSMP would pay UK University fee meant for UK student or fee meant for International student?

THere is substantial difference in amounts, therefore it needs early clarification by quating precedents.

pashu

alex2000

Post by alex2000 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:55 pm

a dependant of HSMP is not a uk citizen so cannot pay the uk fee. Infact the hsm himself only has residence permit and is not citizenship status

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:22 am

Does this also apply to primary, secondary and high school? I assume many HSMP immigrants have kids that are 4-10 years old.

What kind of info would these schools want and how much will they charge since none of the HSMP dependents are UK citizen?

This is so damn confusing...

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:26 am

The primary and secondary schools do not charge any fees for children of HSMP visa holders, unless you want to send them to private schools.

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:31 am

Thanks for the quick reply, Rog!

farah

Post by farah » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:32 am

It should be of home studuents which would be around 3000k per annum.My observation is based on commonsense and any specific knowledge.
Any hsmp holder with direct experience should come farward.

FARAH

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:01 pm

farah wrote:It should be of home studuents which would be around 3000k per annum.My observation is based on commonsense and any specific knowledge.

FARAH
If the rules are, if anybody having a visa < ILR and not resident in the UK in the last 3yrs stay (including british citizens) have to pay international fees, how come HSMP candidates are an exception?

alex2000

Post by alex2000 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Farah,

Pls refer to my previous post. While public primary and sec schools are free for all (including HSMP dependants). College (university) has concessional fees ONLY for British citizens - and HSMP depedants are not- until hopefully after ILR.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:36 pm

farah wrote:It should be of home studuents which would be around 3000k per annum.My observation is based on commonsense and any specific knowledge.

FARAH
The infiormation above is not correct.
U will pay home fee once U have got ILR. Otherwise U will still need to pay international fee, irrespectively whether u r under HSMP or not.

Pantaiema

antony

Post by antony » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:49 am

pantaiema wrote:

FARAH
U will pay home fee once U have got ILR. Otherwise U will still need to pay international fee, irrespectively whether u r under HSMP or not.

Pantaiema
My spouse is planning to pursue her research in chemistry.

1) Does she has t o pay the International student fees?

2) Also she has an M.Phil degree in 2003 June. She also ahs teaching exp till Sep 2006. Does she need to take IELTS exam? (for undergoing her research).

Please give your advice.

Many Thanks
Antony

ball1333

Post by ball1333 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:32 pm

antony wrote:My spouse is planning to pursue her research in chemistry.
Most likely, but if she can qualify for a research grant she may be given a break on the tuition, or a stipend to off-set the costs. She should make contact with the International Students Office at each UK university where she intends to apply to ask what kinds of financial awards/fellowships/grants may be available to her.
antony wrote:2) Also she has an M.Phil degree in 2003 June. She also ahs teaching exp till Sep 2006. Does she need to take IELTS exam? (for undergoing her research).
That depends on the requirements of the university. If the language of instruction for her bachelor's degree was English, she should be fine without IELTS. However if her bachelor's degree was not taught in English it may be wise for her to do IELTS before applying even if the universities she's considering do not say in their application materials that it is "required". IELTS may give her an advantage over a similar applicant who cannot prove English proficiency.

In the years that I was at Oxford, some science labs decided to stop accepting international research applicants unless the applicant was available for personal interview. Too many times, applicants provided recommendation letters with their applications that praised their English skills and made them sound quite fluent - then they showed up and could barely communicate. If a researcher is working in a busy lab with (for example) Chinese, Russian, Czech, Swedish, and British, American, Canadian, and British colleagues, fluent English is a MUST or no one can get any work accomplished!

antony

Post by antony » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi ball,

That sounds great to start with for preparing the IELTS.

Many Thanks for the information.
If the opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

gordon

Post by gordon » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:48 pm

At the university level, international students might qualify for the Overseas Research Student (ORS) award, which would reduce the higher international rate to the home rate; I'm unsure whether this scheme is still in operation, but perhaps worth looking into. AG

antony

Post by antony » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for the information. That was really helpful.
I have found few universities where the ORSAS has been provided.

Thanks
Antony
If the opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:56 pm

1. International fee
2. It deoends on the universities. So YEs & No

Pantaiema

antony wrote:
pantaiema wrote:

FARAH

Pantaiema
My spouse is planning to pursue her research in chemistry.

2) Also she has an M.Phil degree in 2003 June. She also ahs teaching exp till Sep 2006. Does she need to take IELTS exam? (for undergoing her research).

Please give your advice.

Many Thanks
Antony