ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I've messed up! Any advice?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Rembrandt
Newly Registered

Post by Rembrandt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:46 pm

I've been working feverishly on getting my application together for my ILR SET(O) PEO appointment TUesday morning in Solihul. I've got everything together except my bank statements.

On my last application for FLR Tier 1 General, I simply walked into an HSBC branch requested a years worth of statements and got them to stamp them. Since then though I have changed to Santander and walking in today they say they can't do this and that I need to order them over the phone and that it will take 10 working days. I nearly fainted.

I need the statements as backup to my work payslips for proof of earnings as well as to show I have enough funds in my account.

Santander did provide me with 3 months 'mini-statements' which they've stamped for me but that's as much as they will do. They also said that they would not sign or stamp online statements if I were to print them out. I no longer have hardcopy statements as I chose the 'environmentally friendly' paperless option when I signed up.

Has anyone else had any luck getting IRL without official statements? Or anything else that could be accepted?

Any help greatly appreciated! :shock:

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Have you tried showing the bank person a copy of the UKBA rule (or even the Set O form) that requires you to have the statements, and what alternatives can be in case originals are not available? Try different branches, maybe someone will understand your situation.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

parasiteslost

Post by parasiteslost » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:50 pm

This is true for Natwest as well - they are only able to print the last 6 months statements in branch. Anything further than 6 months ago will need to be ordered and sent by post.

Do you have an employment history letter from HMRC by any chance? This could class as a evidence from a second source.

Rembrandt
Newly Registered

Post by Rembrandt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks for your replies. Talked at length both to the representative at the branch, but all that I got was that its a process and there is nothing they can do about it. Wouldn't even let me see a manager to explain the situation. Had a bit more luck calling customer services, by chance I got a guy who was also in the process of applying for an ILR, he really went out of his way for me and called two local branches himself and then their online services department. Unfortunately the answer was 'no' in all cases and that their is nothing they can do.

So frustrating when all I need is just someone with a semi-sympathetic ear.

No employment letter from HMRC unfortunately, really put all my eggs in the 'payslips, letter from employer and bankstatements' basket. Didn't even think it would be an issue as it wasn't for my Tier 1 or HSMP.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:59 pm

which branch did you go to. I went to the branch and they printed and stamped me one month statement straight away.

The only reason I think would be that the paper they have is half the size of A4 so if they start printing years worth of statements, that may take time.

so i think its just they are lazy and cannot be arsed about printing stamping those for you. tell them you are leaving the bank and if you have lots of money going in every month they may change their behavior

panther80
inactive

Post by panther80 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:18 pm

The 3 months bank statements which has been stamped by the Bank should be okay. The rules mention that they just need the last statement and payslip which should not be earlier than 28 days of your appointment. You should take your P60 and explain the CW that you have opted out of paper statements and this is what the bank can do. I think that shouldn't be a problem but a proper explanation will be needed.

tier_2_applicant

Post by tier_2_applicant » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:22 pm

I had a similar issue with Halifax.

I showed them a letter that said "We know that this request is being made for visa purposes and that in the absence of these statements the customer's visa might be refused leading to a black mark on the customer's immigration history, an adverse remark in his passport and financial loss to the customer. Still we are not able to sign the statement because we don't have a process for this."
I said if you dont want to sign and stamp the internet statements, please sign and stamp this letter.

My internet statement was signed within next two minutes.

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:28 pm

innocentdevil wrote:which branch did you go to. I went to the branch and they printed and stamped me one month statement straight away.
He's talking about Santander... not HSBC... what I learn is he's trying to get statement from Santander...

However in any case.. getting online statement signed & stamped is his right... & if they can't sign stamp it, they must provide statement in branch... He can complaint about not being able to get in branch to bank & then to FSA.

However what I think now is try to escalate matter to get immediate delivery of statements.. if you can't get in time... may be arrange a new appointment later (just after say 10-15 days & before your leave about to expire) with the help of solicitor... they have special slots.. you may have to pay them their fees, but atleast you stand a chance....

or if not, you'll need to apply by post just before your leave is about to expire such that your application with bank statement will reach to them before your leave expires...

Scary situation though.. seriously...

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:32 pm

p2kin wrote:
innocentdevil wrote:which branch did you go to. I went to the branch and they printed and stamped me one month statement straight away.
He's talking about Santander... not HSBC... what I learn is he's trying to get statement from Santander...

However in any case.. getting online statement signed & stamped is his right... & if they can't sign stamp it, they must provide statement in branch... He can complaint about not being able to get in branch to bank & then to FSA.

However what I think now is try to escalate matter to get immediate delivery of statements.. if you can't get in time... may be arrange a new appointment later (just after say 10-15 days & before your leave about to expire) with the help of solicitor... they have special slots.. you may have to pay them their fees, but atleast you stand a chance....

or if not, you'll need to apply by post just before your leave is about to expire such that your application with bank statement will reach to them before your leave expires...

Scary situation though.. seriously...
I am talking about Santander as I have a bank account with Santander

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm

panther80 wrote:The 3 months bank statements which has been stamped by the Bank should be okay. The rules mention that they just need the last statement and payslip which should not be earlier than 28 days of your appointment. You should take your P60 and explain the CW that you have opted out of paper statements and this is what the bank can do. I think that shouldn't be a problem but a proper explanation will be needed.
makes sense to me... you have 12 among 15 months to show... since you are appearing on Tuesday, I assume you planned payments till oct-11 to sep-12.. if you show your payslips from say July-11 to June-12.. atleast P60 & payslips will cover 9 out of 12 required months (july-11 to Mar-12)... & hopefully you'll have enough income in those 9 months to make up points...

meanwhile... try everything to get statements by monday... if still not

Give this Tuesday a go at Solihull with above things... if they refuse, then you still have chance with as I said in my earlier POST..

Hoever it goes, don't leave santander... sue them... & collect as much evidence about they saying no... may be video of your conversation/police.. try everything to get evidence against them....
Last edited by p2kin on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:39 pm

innocentdevil wrote: I am talking about Santander as I have a bank account with Santander
OOP's sorry, I assumed incorrectly.... apology...!

Rembrandt
Newly Registered

Post by Rembrandt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks again everyone. I think I just need to get lucky and find a staff member with a heart. I got a good one on the phone who personally tried 2 branches on my behalf as well as the online services department but no-one he talked with was willing to help.

tier_2_applicant - love that letter, might have to borrow that!

My fall back will be applying by post but I'm very weary of this, my friend did it and his Grandfather back in New Zealand became very ill and because he didn't have his passport for 6 months he couldn't go and visit him.

I've hit social media and emailed Santanders CEO and mediarelations, tomorrow I'm just going to have to go to every branch in London until I get a nice person.

somemightsay

Post by somemightsay » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi, Rembrandt. I stopped by Santander in Canary Wharf a couple of weeks ago to ask them if they still stamp online statements and write letters to validate the online statements. Santander said that they no longer write letters but would stamp online statements for me. You can try your luck at the Canary Wharf branch.

Rembrandt
Newly Registered

Re: I've messed up! Any advice?

Post by Rembrandt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:19 am

somemightsay wrote:Hi, Rembrandt. I stopped by Santander in Canary Wharf a couple of weeks ago to ask them if they still stamp online statements and write letters to validate the online statements. Santander said that they no longer write letters but would stamp online statements for me. You can try your luck at the Canary Wharf branch.
Thanks mate, might have to try that. Is that the branch on Canada square? I'm working down in Croydon but might just have to take a half day and go see them

Rembrandt
Newly Registered

Post by Rembrandt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks everyone, all sorted now.

Emailed Santander CEO, Services Dept and had a friend tweet them, which got me their media relations email address.
I then started up a facebook page about the saga, made sure I had all the documents in hand and made copies of this letter that a poster on here gave an example of

We know that this request is being made for visa purposes and that in the absence of these statements the customer's visa might be refused leading to a black mark on the customer's immigration history, an adverse remark in his passport and financial loss to the customer.
Still we are not able to sign the statement because we don't have a process for this.

I then planned to go to every Santander branch I could in the space of a day, with the idea of asking for statement authorisation and if that failed getting them to sign the letter above. As it turns out the first branch I approached were happy to authorise!!! I also received calls back from the media relations team, complaints dept and the ceo's office apologising for how I 've been treated. I've lodged a formal complaint about the 3 branches that refused me as well as gave good feedback about the staff who actually tried to help. They are now going to send a directive out to all staff in the area about this situation so that it never happens again.

They are also sending me a box of wine for the grief it caused. Outstanding result! I guess it just pays to be calm, persistant and not be afraid to use social media or going right to the top, you are their customer after all.

Massive thanks to everyone for their input on this

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 am

Rembrandt wrote:Thanks everyone, all sorted now.

Emailed Santander CEO, Services Dept and had a friend tweet them, which got me their media relations email address.
I then started up a facebook page about the saga, made sure I had all the documents in hand and made copies of this letter that a poster on here gave an example of

We know that this request is being made for visa purposes and that in the absence of these statements the customer's visa might be refused leading to a black mark on the customer's immigration history, an adverse remark in his passport and financial loss to the customer.
Still we are not able to sign the statement because we don't have a process for this.

I then planned to go to every Santander branch I could in the space of a day, with the idea of asking for statement authorisation and if that failed getting them to sign the letter above. As it turns out the first branch I approached were happy to authorise!!! I also received calls back from the media relations team, complaints dept and the ceo's office apologising for how I 've been treated. I've lodged a formal complaint about the 3 branches that refused me as well as gave good feedback about the staff who actually tried to help. They are now going to send a directive out to all staff in the area about this situation so that it never happens again.

They are also sending me a box of wine for the grief it caused. Outstanding result! I guess it just pays to be calm, persistant and not be afraid to use social media or going right to the top, you are their customer after all.

Well done.. and congrats to you... Wish you best of luck for tomorrow..!!

Just a quick request to you.. Could you please do the following that might help others who would unfortunately fall in such trap... Could you please post all the addresses like email address of CEO, twitter address of services dept & media relations email? someone might be able to use them in short notice like you & will save some time.

Also, please let us know what happens tomorrow.. we all will be interested as your case is special.. how does it goes at PEO & if possible please also ask them if someone falls under similar circumstances, what is possibly happen..

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:47 am

Rembrandt wrote: ...

Well done so far. Any updates?
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

somemightsay

Post by somemightsay » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi, Rembrandt. Which branch authorized your statements?

Santander stated several weeks ago in person and on the phone that they stamp online statements.

I checked in person at the Canary Wharf branch and on the phone again today, and they stated that they don't stamp online statements in the branch.

They suggested that I special order a statement, which would take 7 - 10 business days to arrive.

I might give your branch a try just in case.

Daznov
Newly Registered

Post by Daznov » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:58 am

A big thanks to tier_2_applicant and Rembrandt. I'm with Santander and will soon need a copy of one of my online statements stamping (as my payslip is issued after my statement). Now I know how to deal with them if they are not forthcoming. :)