ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

From tier 4 to tier 2 (PhD student waiting for viva)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ehab
Newly Registered

From tier 4 to tier 2 (PhD student waiting for viva)

Post by ehab » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Hello,

I am currently on tier 4 visa, I've submitted my PhD thesis and waiting for viva which expected to hold after my current visa expires.

I know that tier 4 PhD students who have completed a minimum of 12 months are allowed to switch to tier 2. and luckily, my employer is an A-Rated sponsor, and they are willing to sponsor me.

My question is actually about the English language requirements of the tier 2, am I still required to pass the IELTS test? or being a PhD student for more than 12 months will be considered as a proof of my English language?

Thanks

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:03 am

if your degree wasn't taught in English, or if it was but is not recognised by NARIC as equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree, then you will need a level B1 (on the CEFR) English test certificate.

12 months study for PhD makes you eligible to apply for T2G once you have a CoS but it doesn't exempt from the English requirements. See paras 112 - 141 of the T2 policy guidance:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf