ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do i need a visa?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

LadyDiva
Newly Registered

Do i need a visa?

Post by LadyDiva » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:20 pm

I am sure this has been asked over and over again but i need more information.

I got my Canadian PR on January 2005. My little boy who is One Years Old is a Canadian Citizen.
We are on our way to Ghana in December on short notice. My grandmother who raised me has taken Ill.

To cut the long story short.

My flight leaves from Toronto to London Heathrow. I land in Heathrow at 10.30pm at night.

My flight leaves from Gatwick to Accra. Boarding time is 6am in the morning.

I have had no time to apply for a visa because i just heard my grandma has cancer two weeks ago. I must go at once.

I know i am eligible for the TWOV Concession but still, how harsh are these immigration guys.

I dont want to get there and then i get shipped back on the plane with a one year old.

I have a banging mule job, i am about to get my certification as an accountant. Happily married. (my husband cant make it due to work schedule)...

Pls help. Do i need a visa or not?

I called the BRITISH EMBASSY and the guy there told me i didnt need a visa bu thats one thing, they tell you one thing and then they do another.

HELP!!!!!

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:38 pm

check www.ukvisas.gov.uk

and check under transit sections.....

if you are travelling uinder the visa waiver scheme - no biggie assuming you are a citizen of the exempt countries...
Where there is a will there is a way.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:03 pm

Chess wrote:check www.ukvisas.gov.uk

and check under transit sections.....

if you are travelling uinder the visa waiver scheme - no biggie assuming you are a citizen of the exempt countries...
But the incoming flight arrives at Heathrow and the outgoing flight leaves from Gatwick, and the next day. Will that make a difference?

On the UK visa website, "transit" is defined (in part) as "staying in the UK for up to 48 hours before you continue your journey" (seehttp://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 5559336313).

Ghanaian citizens who "a valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from the country in respect of which the visa is held to another country or territory" do not need a visa if they are in transit.

Based on this, I would say that the advice you have been given is correct, but others may be able to clarify. In any event, if you can it would be wise to take a print-out of the relevant pages from the UK visa website, in case the airline check-in staff are not aware of the regulations. As always, it would be sensible to arrive early to check in.

LadyDiva
Newly Registered

Post by LadyDiva » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:15 pm

Thank you so much. I called the UK Immigration AGAIN today adn they still tell me i dont need a transit visa, but again the lady sounded unsure. I wonder if anyone here has first hand experiences or if there are any threads on this issue in the past.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.