ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is legal advice and assistance by duty solicitor public fund

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sarrial
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by sarrial » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:12 pm

A duty solicitor assisted me in a police station to get bail and provided legal advice as I was involved in an incident (got no charges / offences from police though).

Later on I got a letter from the solicitor stating that the cost of legal advice and assistance he provided was met from the public funds.

I am on Tier 1 general visa (hence no recourse to public funds) and my ILR is due soon. Is above cost considered as public fund that could affect the ILR application?

sarrial
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by sarrial » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:29 am

I hired a solicitor to find this out and ultimately I came to know that I have to pay duty solicitor the cost of his legal assistance...

wiggsy

Re: Is legal advice and assistance by duty solicitor public

Post by wiggsy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:37 am

sarrial wrote:I hired a solicitor to find this out and ultimately I came to know that I have to pay duty solicitor the cost of his legal assistance...
Legal aid doesnt count as public funds in the definition of the Immigration rules? (or am i mistaken here?)

Ive had it confirmed by many people that the use of legal aid is perfectly fine (until april 2013 when LA for immigration and family cases is being removed)

sarrial
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by sarrial » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:10 pm

wiggsy wrote:
sarrial wrote:I hired a solicitor to find this out and ultimately I came to know that I have to pay duty solicitor the cost of his legal assistance...
Legal aid doesnt count as public funds in the definition of the Immigration rules? (or am i mistaken here?)

Ive had it confirmed by many people that the use of legal aid is perfectly fine (until april 2013 when LA for immigration and family cases is being removed)
The solicitor I hired contacted Home Office and told me that I have to pay for the legal assistance he provided me with. I couldn't find out anything about legal aid on UKBA website so I took services from the solicitor. I have to pay the money back to the solicitor or directly to Legal Services Commission.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:41 am

read the UKBA manual as per public funds...

legal aid is not mentioned, therefore it is not considered...

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

labview
Newly Registered

Post by labview » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:52 pm

@ sarrial. Did you get your ILR at last? I am facing similar problem at the moment. Please share your experience, thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:02 pm

It's not a public under under the immigration rules

labview
Newly Registered

Post by labview » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:59 pm

@Greenie, thank you very much. I was away for a while.