ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zob
Newly Registered

British citizenship

Post by zob » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:31 am

I am an EEA national. After 5 years of permanent work in the UK (since september of 2007) could I be eligible to apply for British citizenship? Or I need one more year of residence in the UK. I am asking about it because I don't understand the following phrase from UKBA: You should have held permanent residence status for 12 months before you apply for naturalisation. Does it mean 5 years of work and after that one more year of permanent residence?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:40 am

You need to wait a further year after acquiring permanent residence.

c0nfused23
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

PR to citizenship

Post by c0nfused23 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Sorry to piggy back on your post.

I'm currently a family member of an EEA national but am in the process of applying for PR using EEA 4. Got a residence card in 2008 but have been in the UK since 2002. Long story.

Anyhoo, my question is after getting PR, do I have to wait 12 months or can I apply for naturalisation/citizenship straight away as I'm married to a UK Citizen. we got married in 2011.

thanks in advance (and sorry again).

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: PR to citizenship

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:14 pm

c0nfused23 wrote:Anyhoo, my question is after getting PR, do I have to wait 12 months or can I apply for naturalisation/citizenship straight away as I'm married to a UK Citizen. we got married in 2011.
If you are applying based on a marriage with a British citizen, you apply under completely different set of requirements. See this thread for more information on that. Just replace IRL (UK route) with PR (EU route).