ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Public funds/Council house - Spouse Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rainbow24

Public funds/Council house - Spouse Visa

Post by rainbow24 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:44 pm

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has answers to the following questions:

My situation is that I am sponsoring my husband to re enter the UK on a spouse visa. I am currently in full time employment and I am expecting our child early next month, however I have a few concerns.

2. If I decide to keep working full-time but apply for a council house in my name and get some help with the rent/council tax, will this affect his visa and is he allowed to live with me? What if I decide to go part-time because of the baby and ask for financial help, again will this affect his visa?

3. If my husband gets his visa, comes to the UK and I lose my job (God forbid) what happens then? Obviously, I will have to claim benefits frm the government, but will this mean that my partners visa will affected at the end of the 2 years and he will be kicked back out the country because I am claiming state benefits? He will try hard to look for a job, and within 2 years should find something, but what will happen if he finds a job with a low salary and I still need to claim from the government?

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:34 am

As far as I know, you can still claim anything you are entitled to as a British citizen, but your husband would have to be able to support himself. I know many people that are married to non-British citizens and the British spouse claims for things like tax credits, child benefit etc. Your husband also would be listed on the applications but those are things that you and your child would be entitled to regardless of father/husband's nationality. He would not, however, be able to apply directly for benefits himself I think. I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will come along and clarify :)

busubi

Post by busubi » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:10 pm

www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/11464/publicfunds.pdf

This should answer some of your concerns.

first2last4

Post by first2last4 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:59 pm

Great Link.

My friend is in the following situation. She is British Citizen by Birth with 3 children all below 12 years old. She is married to an indian (on ILR and due to receive his citizenship) who is staying abroad for more than 2 years. She has asked council for a property to stay (East London) last 2 years back and accordingly her name was registered in 'housing waiting list'. Currently she has been given a 3 Bed house which is not owned by council and hence council pays the rent for it. She found out that her name has now been deleted from the 'housing waiting list' which is not fair as the landlord can terminate the contract any time. She wants to get her name back in the waiting list until she has been given a property owned by council itself. She requested council to get her name back to 'housing waiting list' but they responded saying she need not worry till the end of the current tenancy agreement and will sort something later on.

This is really a uncertain situation for her. Can anyone suggest how can she get her name back in the waiting list.
Knowledge which is concealed is lost -Hadith