ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Hanoi Settlement Application Worries

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Franko

Hanoi Settlement Application Worries

Post by Franko » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:27 pm

My wife has just submitted her application for settlement at the British embassy in Hanoi. I am very worried as when she returned from the embassy the girl behind the desk had taken apart the application and evidence folder, removed everything from the folder including all the dividers and plastic wallets and just piled it all together as one lump paperers. Most concerning of all though is they sent back all my original documents. Pay slips, employment contract, letter from employer etc. They said as I had sent photocopies then I dont need to submit the originals even though the guidance clearly states that originals must be supplied.

Has anyone else come across this? surely it cannot be right that the originals were not accepted as part of the application?

Thanks Steve

Ted

Post by Ted » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:36 am

Hi there steve,
ive taken an interest in your post as my wife too is Vietnamese and will soon be applying for a spouse visa and will have too travel to Hanoi for the process.
I would appreciate any relevant info regarding the spouse visa process if you would kindly post.

Kind Regards

Franko

Post by Franko » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:07 am

Mods just curious why this post has been moved to the general immigration section from the family members section? is a wife no longer a family member???????????????

Franko

Post by Franko » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:22 am

Ted wrote:Hi there steve,
ive taken an interest in your post as my wife too is Vietnamese and will soon be applying for a spouse visa and will have too travel to Hanoi for the process.
I would appreciate any relevant info regarding the spouse visa process if you would kindly post.

Kind Regards
Hi Ted

All I can really tell you about the Vietnamese process is don't go to a lot of effort to prepare a evidence folder as in our experience they don't allow it and remove all the papers from the folder and bulk them all together as one. Also all my original documents were returned which I don't believe is right but I'm trying to find this out now.

When you go to the embassy in Hanoi you will not be allowed to enter with your wife.

Steve

Ted

Post by Ted » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:49 am

From what I am aware you will get all you original docs returned to you as long as you have supplied photo copies, any doc that is not accompanied by a photo copy is not returned.

I am waiting for a reply to an email I sent to the office that deals with Vietnam regarding whether on my trip to Hanoi for my wifes appointment if they can return my passports, I have two, I would like them returned to me as I will be needing them, Im hoping once they have sighted them then they will be in a position to return them.

Ive read on there website that all docs will be returned once a decision has been made regarding your application, and will be either couriered too you or you can come pick them up, but as the applicant lives in HCMC and the process starts in Hanoi, Im not sure if this is why you were given your original docs back.

Those docs that were returned to you, were they sighted by the staff at the Hanoi office?

Also you evidence folder, what type of evidence did they disregard?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:19 pm

Ted..you can submit legally certified copies of your 2 passports instead of the originals. This is standard practice as many sponsors aren't in the spouse's home country when the application is submitted.

Franko

Post by Franko » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:43 pm

I was aware that originals supplied with a copy would be returned however I thought this would be after the application had been reviewed. as it stands they never accepted them just kept the copies, I know numerous people who have applied in Thailand that had the originals kept then returned later, and Vietnam applications are sent to Bangkok for processing. I do believe they did check the copies and originals and I have been in touch with another Vietnamese applicant who had the same experience and was successful. So hopefully this is correct.

You don't submit your passport and they wont accept it just copies that you can certify yourself to be a true copy.

Steve

P.s still don't know why this was moved from the family section ????????

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:04 pm

You can't certify your passport yourself. This must be legally certified by a solicitor or notary.

I don't know why the thread was moved, but I'll move it back for you.

Franko

Post by Franko » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Casa wrote:You can't certify your passport yourself. This must be legally certified by a solicitor or notary.
Dear Mr XXXXXX

Thank you for your e-mail dated 10th September 2012.

You should provide photocopies of your passport that contain personal details, visas or immigration stamps. These do not have to be notarised by a solicitor or legal representative, we can accept a copy certified by yourself.

Please be aware of number of changes to the Immigration Rules come into effect on 9 July 2012. These changes will affect non-European Economic Area (non-EEA) nationals applying to enter or remain in the UK under the family migration route.

Hope you find the above information helpful.

Yours sincerely

Correspondence Unit
Thailand, Vietnam,Burma, Cambodia, Laos,

International Operations and Visas
UK Border Agency
British Embassy
14 Wireless Road
Bangkok
Thailand

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:31 pm

Keep the letter as proof they will accept a copy of your passport 'certified' by yourself. You may need it. :?

Ted

Post by Ted » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:29 am

This is the reply I got from Hanoi :

Thank you for contacting the UK Border Agency’s Visa Enquiries mailbox in Vietnam.

We will not keep your original passports. You can provide the photocopies of these documents. Please note that you should provide copies of other documents as well.

Yours sincerely

Correspondence Unit
Vietnam

UK Border Agency
British Embassy
4th Floor

Central Building

31 Hai Ba Trung

Hanoi

Vietnam

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not even asking to certify them!

I will certify them just to make sure of a prompt service.

Ive never had to certify a document before so what wording would be adequate?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:48 am

I've never seen that it would be acceptable to certify a copy of a passport or official document yourself. If you think this through, a sponsor would always say the copy is genuine. A solicitor or notary will provide a legalised copy.
Personally, I wouldn't risk submitting a copy of a passport without legal certification.
Similarly, translated documents will only be accepted if they have been provided by an official translator, complete with company or official stamp.

Franko

Post by Franko » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:35 am

Casa wrote:I've never seen that it would be acceptable to certify a copy of a passport or official document yourself. If you think this through, a sponsor would always say the copy is genuine. A solicitor or notary will provide a legalised copy.
Personally, I wouldn't risk submitting a copy of a passport without legal certification.
Similarly, translated documents will only be accepted if they have been provided by an official translator, complete with company or official stamp.
The reason the UKBA wants sponsors passports is to prove the sponsor has a right to live in the UK. Now whats the easiest way for the UK Boarder Agency to confirm a passport or right to live in the UK is genuine? call the solicitor and check there credentials etc or check there own system? who's to say the solicitor is genuine? I'm sure they wont take my certification as fact but I am sure they have the ability to check the copy in front of them matches the copy in there systems. I know of numerous people on the Thai forums who have claimed to have done so and not had an issue. Even the UKBA have told me themselves in 4 different e-mails that this is ok. Both from Vietnam and BKK, before and after the July changes the answer is always the same.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:56 am

It's your call.

Ted

Post by Ted » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:58 am

This is a reply I got today:

Thank you for contacting the UK Border Agency’s Visa Enquiries mailbox in Vietnam.

You do not need to have the documents certified but please do bring along the original documents so we can check them.

Yours sincerely

Correspondence Unit
Vietnam

UK Border Agency
British Embassy
4th Floor

Central Building

31 Hai Ba Trung

Hanoi

Vietnam

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Such a practical way to do these things as long as they have the trained staff to be able to recognize originals.

I was wondering, when we got our marriage cert from the government dept, we also had a copy translated into English, do you think they will except this at the consulate or would I have to have it translated by a translator that is nominated by the consulate etc?

Franko

Post by Franko » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:38 am

Visa Granted :D

Ted

Post by Ted » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:04 am

Franko wrote:Visa Granted :D
Congratulations to you both :D