ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Same sex partner on Ancestral Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cornwell
Newly Registered

Same sex partner on Ancestral Visa

Post by cornwell » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:56 am

I have been living here for 2 1/2 years on a same sex partner Ancestral visa. My partner qualified for an Ancestral visa. However it looks like our relationship is over.
I have been in fulltime employ as a manager since I have been here. How feasible is it for my employer to apply for a work permit for me.

Can I live here for the remainder of my visa validity and will I be able to apply for ILR.

My ex-wife and children have subsequently moved here on the basis of an ancestral visa on her husbands side. I support them financially and am an active parent, helping with schooling etc.

I dont want to go back to my country if there is any way round this problem, but my soon to be ex partner is threating that he will go to the home office to notify them that the relationship is over.

Help

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:45 am

Very sorry to hear of your difficulties, cornwell. I note you say that "it looks like" the relationship is over, so I hope there might still be a chance that it isn't...

I'm no great shakes at work permit requirements, but there's certainly no reason in principle why you shouldn't switch to a work permit, provided your job qualifies you in practice. There are people here who will be able to advise on that, but you'd need to post details of the sort of job you're in. Perhaps you'd like to do that and also, in the meantime, have a look at http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk, which should give you some idea of the hurdles to be cleared.

I don't know whether the fact that your children are here could make a difference to your prospects of staying, but I really think that that's something to be explored through individual legal advice, not on a forum such as this.

I don't want to finish this on a negative note, but I should say that unless you can quickly find an alternative route that will enable to to remain here, you will not be here legally once your partnership is over - whether your ex contacts IND or not. You should not be thinking in terms of simply staying until the date on your visa. There is no chance of getting ILR at that point if your relationship isn't continuing.

Good luck
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

cornwell
Newly Registered

Post by cornwell » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:00 pm

Hi thanks for your reply.

I am from SA and work as a Manager for a South African company with a branch in the UK. I have qualifications in Health and Safety.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:20 pm

I would suggest that you consult your employer as soon as possible... I dont think that supporting your children will add weight to your case (if youre thinking of humanitarian grounds), once your wife, or yourself could take the children back with you to SA.

I guess the best course of action is either to fix things with your partner, or the work permit route.

Good luck and sorry to hear about the troubles.