ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Supplementary work (work permit vs tier 2)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kashguy
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Supplementary work (work permit vs tier 2)

Post by kashguy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:23 pm

As per UKBA website, when it comes to doing supplementary work, there are two different information pages, one under work permit (closed category) http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... mployment/

it states that self employment is not allowed.

But when you look under tier 2 visa under supplementary work http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... onditions/

it has no mention of self employment,

So does that mean working as self employed under tier is fine (e.g locuming) since there is no mention of it?, I have read a lot of threads here about this topic, people answering yes or no, but no one actually giving a reason to why and where it says that. If you know the ruling and can guide where to look for it then answer other please do not bother, Coz saying a no does not really help at all. Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:56 pm

My £0.02:

Employment = working for an employer (someone other than you) in return of regular wages (salary).
Self-employment = working for (your) self.

If in doubt, contact UKBA.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

kashguy
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by kashguy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:07 pm

I know that but my question is regarding whether one can be self employed whilst on tier 2 general if working less than 20 hours a week as there is no mention of it under the rules ?

sushdmehta wrote:My £0.02:

Employment = working for an employer (someone other than you) in return of regular wages (salary).
Self-employment = working for (your) self.

If in doubt, contact UKBA.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:55 pm

kashguy wrote:I know that but my question is regarding whether one can be self employed whilst on tier 2 general
Doesn't the webpage refer to "supplementary work" as "supplementary employment"?
You do not need to inform us of this additional work (known as 'supplementary employment') if:
See also 245HC(e)(iii)(2), 245HE(g)(iii)(2), 245GC(e)(iii)(2), 245GE(i)(iii)(2).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:15 am

another indication that supplementary employment does not include self employment is in the T2 sponsor guidance:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

"A migrant should advise their new employer that the employment is supplementary employment so that they can make the necessary checks in accordance with the recommendations we make in our guidance for employers on illegal working."