ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need Help! Rules for Indefinite Leave to Remain

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cubicmedia
Newly Registered

Need Help! Rules for Indefinite Leave to Remain

Post by cubicmedia » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:33 pm

Hi,

I came into this country on August 2002 as a work permit holder; the duration for work permit was initially for 18 months. In May 2003 I got offer from another company and I did join that company in June 2003. When the time came to renew my work permit, my new employer apply for work permit renewal and it was refused by Home Office on the basis that my original work permit has been cancelled by my first employer so my current employer need to apply as a new application for work permit and meets the criteria for new work permit application.

In the mean time I apply in another firm (my current employer) and got a job and they applied for a work permit and it was approved for 1 year, after 1 year it was extended till August 2008.

My question is when can I apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain? According to the new laws I have to spend 5 years to actually apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. In my case when my 5 years period will be completed?

I am really worried about this situation, I will be very much grateful if someone will help me regarding this issue.

Regards

Nad

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:41 pm

I think you may find that the "ILR clock" was reset when you got your WP for your current job.

As I understand it, in order to qualify for ILR, you need five years on a WP. If I'm reading your post correctly, you had a gap between leaving your first employer and your third employer - the job with the second employer wasn't covered by a WP, and therefore doesn't count towards ILR.

Others will come along if I'm wrong but it might be helpful if you were to say how long the gap was - ie when did you leave employer number one, and when did you start with number three?
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

cubicmedia
Newly Registered

Post by cubicmedia » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:12 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

I submit my resign on May 2003, so I joined 2nd company on June 2003. I am working with my current employer since October 2003.

Regards

Nad