ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Experience?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

UKbound

UK Experience?

Post by UKbound » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:12 pm

I'm running into an issue and I'd like your feedback. I've been interviewing at several places and recently have received the feedback that I have "great background, and that I'm perfect for the job", with the one exception that I don't have "UK experience".. Now, I work in the financial services area, and I've worked in both the US and Japan (the top 2 largest economies), so I'm wondering if this is a truly valid concern, or if it's something I should ignore.

I have to admit, I'm somewhat taken aback by the comments, since I'm MBA-educated, and I already have international financial experience (albeit non-UK).

To be fair, the company that said it was probably just saying what others may have been thinking, and I appreciate that. It did kind of depress me a bit, though. I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences, and how the questions were addressed/overcome.

Thanks, in advance.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:32 pm

Every new immigrant entering the job market faces minor obstacles like what you have mentioned. There is nothing to worry about - it's just a matter of time.

On the other side, some employers do expect their candidates for certain posts to have some UK experience due to the nature/profile of work and responsibilities involved. For example, in certain banking roles you would be expected to know the UK industry wide processes and regulations and deal with anomalies on the same from day 1 on your job. This is often due to the critical nature and may be the time constraints in training someone to make 'suitable' for the position.
Though such jobs are not very rare, but dont let them put you off in your job search.

Good luck, and hope you would soon find something.

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:48 pm

Vin -

Thanks for the comments. Basically, I think you hit the nail on the head. There was concern around understanding of the legal environment and processes. In my area of concentration, though, the laws are pretty much the same here as they are in the US, so this is less of an issue. The company has come back and offered a different role, and I have agreed to take it into consideration. I just need to think through the comments. I don't want to end up resenting the organization and wanting to leave because I feel slighted, your comments helped give me a different perspective.

Fortunately, I have some contacts from the US that have been placed in high-level positions overseeing UK businesses, so I still have those people to followup with. The fact that at least 2 of my former bosses (US), have since been put in charge of UK businesses makes me question the comments, especially since neither had any UK experiences prior. Many of the largest UK banks are owned by foreign companies, HSBC, Standard Chartered, for example, or they themselves own large foreign subsidiaries.

In the end, even if it's a perception, I guess it's something I'm going to have to overcome. The only way to do that is to get some experience directly in a UK role. With that in mind, I just need to figure out if this role is the right one, or if I should keep looking.

Thanks for your advice and kind words, I appreciate it.

neph
Newly Registered

Post by neph » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:53 pm

Got that excuse so many times I wanted to screem. But after my 1st contract role of 2 weeks in IT. I had no problem after that.

Just hang in there. :?

Markie

Post by Markie » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:39 pm

UKbound wrote:
In the end, even if it's a perception, I guess it's something I'm going to have to overcome. The only way to do that is to get some experience directly in a UK role. With that in mind, I just need to figure out if this role is the right one, or if I should keep looking.
Word of advise...keep on seaching for the job that will suit you. In the end, you'll be able to acquire that UK experience that they are saying - it will take some time but it'll be for the better!