ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I return to my home country now I'm no longer a refugee?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

crowes
Newly Registered

Can I return to my home country now I'm no longer a refugee?

Post by crowes » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:47 am

I am originally from Zimbabwe and have lived in the UK for 11 years. 2 years ago I became a refugee in the UK and last month I was granted my ILR so I'm no longer a refugee.

Does this mean I can travel back to Zimbabwe freely now or will there still be issues as I was a refugee?

I only want to return home for a couple of weeks as I'm desperate to see my family.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:49 am

you have ILR so you are free of restrictions.

samira_uk
BANNED

Post by samira_uk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:52 pm

As I know, you are more concerned about the Home country government. Usually, if they know that you were a refugee, you will encounter problem. It depends on the country and I dont know how is in Zimbabwe.

HappyToHelp247
Newly Registered

Post by HappyToHelp247 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi,

ILR doesn't mean you are no longer Refugee.
Your Refugee Status will be remove when you will get British Citizen.

thanks

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:35 am

HappyToHelp247 wrote:Hi,

ILR doesn't mean you are no longer Refugee.
Your Refugee Status will be remove when you will get British Citizen.

thanks
If the OP has ILR it's barely relevant whether that was attained by marriage, long residence or asylum. In trotting off back to the country where he was allegedly in fear of persecution, within a month or two of gaining residence in the UK, one might suspect that his claim to be in fear was not genuine, but this is unlikely to be pursued.

Many years ago at Heathrow, Immigration Officers used to encounter Vietnamese with refugee status arriving back from Bangkok. The stamps in their HO refugee docs indicated that that Bangkok was merely a transit, but there were no other endorsements. We used to ask them where they had gone - "Laos" was a favourite answer. However, the IO in BKK always writes the flight number on the stamp, and it was a simple matter to look that up and ascertain that they had flown to Saigon. We used to report it, but nothing was ever done about it.

As Samira has pointed out, it is for the OP to judge what risk he is taking by travelling back to Zimbabwe. If he is locked up or otherwise molested, his claim would appear to have been justified. Otherwise...? I wouldn't presume to judge.