ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How To Transfer of US B1/B2 Visa On My British Passport ?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SAKSHI007

How To Transfer of US B1/B2 Visa On My British Passport ?

Post by SAKSHI007 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:14 am

Hi All , I have a US 10 years B1/B2 Visa valid till 2017 on my Indian passport , would Like to transfer it to my proposed British Passport . Please let me know that if could be done , if yes the procedure please . Many Thanks in Advance for all the replies . R M

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: How To Transfer of US B1/B2 Visa On My British Passport

Post by Marco 72 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:34 pm

SAKSHI007 wrote:Hi All , I have a US 10 years B1/B2 Visa valid till 2017 on my Indian passport , would Like to transfer it to my proposed British Passport . Please let me know that if could be done , if yes the procedure please . Many Thanks in Advance for all the replies . R M
There is no such procedure. You can apply for a new B visa using your British passport, but it will most likely be denied if you are eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:58 am

Being eligible under the visa waiver program shouldn't make one ineligible for a B1/B2 visa.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

SAKSHI007

Post by SAKSHI007 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:40 am

vinny wrote:Being eligible under the visa waiver program shouldn't make one ineligible for a B1/B2 visa.
. Thanks for the reply . I still cannot by the fact that if you already have a valid visa ( 2017 my case ) which benefit me to use 6 months on a single stay as VWP is 3 months ( only reason to transfer ) . Is it documented anywhere that change of nationality , voids all your previous valid visas on a previous nationality passport . Please help , if I am able to transfer it to my British passport . It would help a lot in my case . Many Thanks .

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:26 pm

vinny wrote:Being eligible under the visa waiver program shouldn't make one ineligible for a B1/B2 visa.
No one said it did. However, wanting to spend more than 90 days in the US usually results in a visa denial...

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:39 pm

SAKSHI007 wrote: Thanks for the reply . I still cannot by the fact that if you already have a valid visa ( 2017 my case ) which benefit me to use 6 months on a single stay as VWP is 3 months ( only reason to transfer ) . Is it documented anywhere that change of nationality , voids all your previous valid visas on a previous nationality passport . Please help , if I am able to transfer it to my British passport . It would help a lot in my case . Many Thanks .
You have already been told that such a transfer is not possible.

If your Indian passport is still valid, then your visa is probably still valid, and you can use it when travelling with your Indian passport. If you naturalised as a British citizen, then your Indian passport is no longer a valid document and the visa is null and void.

If you apply for a B1/2 visa, you must show evidence of compelling ties to the UK (i.e., why at the end of your holiday, you must return to the UK). Someone who can afford to stay in the US for 6 months clearly has no such ties.

SAKSHI007

Post by SAKSHI007 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks for your reply Marco , much appreciated . To give you some additional info , my B1/B2 was issued at London embassy in 2005 when I was in the mid of working holiday (temporary visa 2 years ) visa for 10 years ( meaning I had no compelling reason to return back to India ) . Now I have a job , my wife and two children are British including me just waiting for my passport ( ceremony done ) . Wife has a 3 bedroom house in London . When you say 6 months stay shows no reason to return , well mostly all countries including US and UK short terms visas are at least 6 months . Just in a nutshell when I already have a visa issued till 2017 , why would I not be allowed to transfer it to a different nationality passport and apply for a new one . I would really appreciate if you also support your replies with some thing in black and white . It would not just help me but might help others aswell in same situation . Many thanks , Apology for being a bit blunt and any incorrect formating as I am writing from my phone . RM .

desiworld
Newly Registered

US Immigration

Post by desiworld » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:39 pm

You cannot transfer your B1/B2 visa from passport of one nationality to passport of another nationality.

Transfer from same nationality passports is possible (fees $160 applies) or you can carry your old/expired passport with visa along with new valid one.

If you are British citizen you can travel visa free (VWP) for 90 days and if you wish to extend visa whilst you are in the USA you need to apply before your visa expires and may have to pay fees.

As a British national you can also apply for B1/B2 visa from the UK which will allow you to stay in the USA for 180 days, fees applies.

Please visit US embassy in London website.

Hope this helps.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: US Immigration

Post by Marco 72 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:48 am

desiworld wrote:You cannot transfer your B1/B2 visa from passport of one nationality to passport of another nationality.

Transfer from same nationality passports is possible (fees $160 applies) or you can carry your old/expired passport with visa along with new valid one.
No it's not, not for B visas anyway. The only visas which can be re-issued without having to make a new application are C-1/D, J, H-1, O and P ones. See here. In any case, the OP is no longer eligible for an Indian passport.
desiworld wrote:If you are British citizen you can travel visa free (VWP) for 90 days and if you wish to extend visa whilst you are in the USA you need to apply before your visa expires and may have to pay fees.
You cannot extend your stay under the VWP. If you can't leave the US due to an emergency, then USCIS may (at their discretion) grant "satisfactory departure" for a period of up to 30 days. This means that you will be treated "as if" you had not overstayed. See here. Incidentally, by definition, the VWP is not a visa.