ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse application whilst receiving council tax discount

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

saw87
Newly Registered

Spouse application whilst receiving council tax discount

Post by saw87 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:01 am

Dear members,

I am currently preparing to apply for a UK spouse visa for my non-EU partner and have a question regarding council tax.

I currently receive 25% discount on my council tax as the sole occupier of my property (although my partner is staying with me temporarily for 5 months whilst in the UK on a visitors visa - I am presuming this does not affect the discount as he's only a visitor - please do correct me if I'm wrong!)

The discount will of course be cancelled as soon as my partner resides with me permanently. So my question is is it best I explain this in my cover letter? I was also planning on submitting a budget planner sheet detailing my monthly expenses so I could make a note of it on there also.

Is this discount considered a government benefit? I do not receive any other state benefits or financial support.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

P.S was unsure whether to post this in family members or benefits, apologies if it's in the wrong section.

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:40 am

As it says, it is just a discount under the rules of occupancy by the Council(s). So this does not count as a benefit.

It should be fine this way nothing to worry about. Just make sure you meet the all requirements including the financial (£18,600 annual salary).

Hope this helps.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:40 am

Single person discount is not a benefit.

You don't need to submit budget planner.

saw87
Newly Registered

Post by saw87 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for the quick reply Harv and Greenie.