ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to meet residency requirement for citizenship

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gypsyinabigtown
Newly Registered

How to meet residency requirement for citizenship

Post by gypsyinabigtown » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:10 am

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to Canada with PR next year. I will be working with a Canadian company (to which I am transferring from US) during that time.

The nature of my work will involve frequent business trips to USA and possibly Europe on various consulting assignments. Therefore I expect that I will only be able to spend about 2/3 of my time physically within Canada.

However, during that time I plan to:
* File income taxes in Canada
* Own my primary residence house in Canada
* Own a Canadian driver licence
* Obtain Canadian insurance numbers and medical care cards
* Own Canadian bank and credit card accounts
* Hold all my assets and investments in Canadian accounts
* Become a member in Canadian professional associations
* Become a member of Canadian social clubs and associations

I am single so I will not have immediate family residing elsewhere during that time, and I will not be owning any assets elsewhere in the world.

Under these circumstances, in your opinion, would the time I spend outside of Canada for my work with a Canadian company count within the 1,095 days Residency Requirement?

I am very enthusiastic for obtaining Canadian citizenship and about settling down in Canada permanently, however I am also afraid that I will never be able to get it due to my busy work travel schedule involving frequent international assignments.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot in advance to everyone for their opinions.