ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My passport is at the UKBA for eea4 but i need to travel

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

leinad523
Newly Registered

My passport is at the UKBA for eea4 but i need to travel

Post by leinad523 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:56 pm

HI all
I am of South African nationality and have lived in the uk for more than 5 years on a residency permit as a non EU family member.

In September i sent my passport to the UKBA applying for a permanent residence with a eea4 application i have received a certificate of application but due to the long processing times i have not received the permanent residence also my current residency document expired in October while the passport was at UKBA.

My problem is that i have plane tickets to visit my family in December, if i request my passport back early 1. will i be able to travel with it ? 2. Will i be let back into the uk by immigration upon my return ?

I would greatly appreciate any help on the matter

jotter
Member of Standing

Post by jotter » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi leinad523,

Yes and yes. If you have your passport back you will be able to travel with it and you will be let back in at the UK border. You should make sure, though, to carry your certificate of application on you as well, which will make it straightforward to prove that you have an application that is awaiting decision by the UKBA.

leinad523
Newly Registered

Update

Post by leinad523 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:14 pm

I have phoned the UKBA to enquire about my situation and as normal they have been very unhelpful.
The first person i spoke to had no idea and referred me to another department who told me that is not their problem and i need to phone UKBA again.

So i phoned UKBA again who were very annoyed and impatient that i have phoned them again, the woman on the phone was extremely rude and told me that i can have my passport back and travel with it but when i come back to the UK it is up to me to satisfy the immigration officer at Heathrow.

I then asked her what she meant by SATISFY the immigration officer, which annoyed her even more she refused to elaborate and only said that it depends on who i get as a immigration officer and if i satisfy them.

Has any one else been in this situation or has any one got some advice ?
kind regards

leinad523
Newly Registered

Post by leinad523 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:35 pm

jotter wrote:Hi leinad523,

Yes and yes. If you have your passport back you will be able to travel with it and you will be let back in at the UK border. You should make sure, though, to carry your certificate of application on you as well, which will make it straightforward to prove that you have an application that is awaiting decision by the UKBA.
Thank you for the reply, do you know if this will affect the 5 years i have already spent in the UK will it void the 5 years and i have start again?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:57 pm

I would said No and Yes.

The main issue would be getting on the flight back. The airline staff will not allow you to board without a visa and with an expired RC. The CoA would not be accepted by them. If however, you manage to get to the border, UK immigration would let you in with the CoA.

jotter
Member of Standing

Post by jotter » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:19 pm

True. I had read the question more narrowly in terms of whether you have a right to travel as far as the UKBA is concerned in the matter. But I agree that convincing the airline of your rights is where the difficulty is, and the issue here would not be getting through the UK border, but rather getting to it. Perhaps if you call the airline you can explain your situation and see whether they can offer any reassurance.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:53 pm

So did you end up getting your documents back? How long did it take?

ashpaul1
Newly Registered

Re: My passport is at the UKBA for eea4 but i need to travel

Post by ashpaul1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:41 am

leinad523 wrote:HI all
I am of South African nationality and have lived in the uk for more than 5 years on a residency permit as a non EU family member.

In September i sent my passport to the UKBA applying for a permanent residence with a eea4 application i have received a certificate of application but due to the long processing times i have not received the permanent residence also my current residency document expired in October while the passport was at UKBA.

My problem is that i have plane tickets to visit my family in December, if i request my passport back early 1. will i be able to travel with it ? 2. Will i be let back into the uk by immigration upon my return ?

I would greatly appreciate any help on the matter
Hi Leinad,

I am in exactly the same situation like you. I applied for EEA4 (PR) on 20 sept2012 and received my COA soon after 2 weeks but I have to travel to Spain in December on 14th. I have already requested by passport back last week and still waiting for the passport. I shall try my luck traveling with my EU spouse once I get my passport.
Good luck mate, please keep me updated and I will do the same?

BTW when are you planning to travel and have you had your passport back?

Cheers!