ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Born Baby's Visa Dilemma

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rav127
Newly Registered

New Born Baby's Visa Dilemma

Post by rav127 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could help me with the following query:

Father British Citizen (BC) , Mom is on ILR dependent.

We are planning to deliver our baby in India and since the process for applying BC is 4months we are opting out and were evaluating the option of applying for baby's Indian passport in tatkal and applying for UK visa.

Can we apply for a visitor visa or 1 year shorterm visa inspite of mum being on ILR since ILR cost in India is ~900GBP.
Also if we do mange to get the baby in UK will we incur another dependent visa charge for applying baby's citizenship or it should be just the cost of british passport no visa fee since he/she is eligible for BC.

Please suggest if you have any clever ideas to get the baby from India in shortest time possible

Many Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:10 pm

The "only clever" idea to apply for entry clearance is to apply under the immigration category that he must apply under - child of a settled person / British citizen.
Last edited by geriatrix on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

rav127
Newly Registered

Post by rav127 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:59 pm

sushdmehta wrote:The "only clever" idea to apply for entry clearance is to apply under the immigration category that he must apply under - child of a settled person / British citizen.
Thanks for your response
I believe that would incur a fee of £826 and not sure on the processing time from india ? Do you ?

Also, if we do get the child under the suggested category can we apply for british citzenship MN1= £551. If the child is born in UK do we avoid the MN1 application fee ?

Can I possibly apply from UK for child's British passport once the child is born ? I am planning to come back anyway before to sort out things if that is a possibility ?

Can you suggest any other options please. Any help would be much appreciated. Apologies for so many questions...just evaluating options and comparing cost's between UK born child vs non-UK born child to settled parents

Thanks for your time.

Note:- We are both currently actively living in the UK.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:58 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Since one parent is a British citizen, your child, when born outside the UK, will be British by descent.
rav127 wrote:Can I possibly apply from UK for child's British passport once the child is born ?
The (British) passport application must be made in the country where the child is present. It can take 6 months for a British passport to be issued when applying from India.

The other option is, as Vinny has already pointed out, to apply for certificate of entitlement of right of abode on the child's Indian passport. This will cost you INR 24300.

rav127
Newly Registered

Post by rav127 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:59 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Since one parent is a British citizen, your child, when born outside the UK, will be British by descent.
rav127 wrote:Can I possibly apply from UK for child's British passport once the child is born ?
The (British) passport application must be made in the country where the child is present. It can take 6 months for a British passport to be issued when applying from India.

The other option is, as Vinny has already pointed out, to apply for certificate of entitlement of right of abode on the child's Indian passport. This will cost you INR 24300.
Fantastic !!
Thanks Guys. Once the child returns to UK on right of abode visa can we apply for his British Passport straight away ? Is it BAU process as if the child was born in UK. Register the baby and apply for briitsh passport
OR
Since the baby is on Indian Passport we will need to go through registering via MN1 application?

Thanks once again for your time and inputs.

Cheers

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:39 pm

A child British by birth does not need to register as a British citizen.

rav127
Newly Registered

Post by rav127 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 pm

sushdmehta wrote:A child British by birth does not need to register as a British citizen.
Thank You Very Much for clarifying. Thanks once again for being so helpful.

Cheers

Pray
Newly Registered

Timeline for Certificate of entitlement of right of abode

Post by Pray » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:54 am

Hi,

Can you please let me know how long it takes to get the certificate of entitlement of right of abode on child's Indian passport after applying?

We are innthe same situation. My husband is British by naturalisation and I am on ILR (dependant).
As it can take a long time for a British passport for the baby, we want to explore other ways to take the baby in 3-4 months to the Uk.
Since I have an Indian passport, (and the baby being born in India), can I get an Indian passport for the baby and as suggested apply for a certificate of entitlement of right of abode for the baby on Indian passport.? How long does this process take? Is it shorter than applying for British passport?

Please help!!

Thank you.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:17 pm

Applying for a UK visa in India wrote:We have service standards for processing UK visa applications in India. Our standards state that we will process:

90 per cent of non-settlement applications within 3 weeks (15 working days) of the application date; and
95 per cent of settlement applications within 12 weeks of the application date.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Pray
Newly Registered

Post by Pray » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:15 am

Thanks Vinny.
In my case will the certificate of entitlement of right of abode be a settlement application or non-settlement application? Since we parents are settled in the UK I am thinking it should be settlement?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:45 am