ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council Tax Discounts and student on Spouse Visa

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Funkydude
Newly Registered

Council Tax Discounts and student on Spouse Visa

Post by Funkydude » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Hello!
I was just wondering if anyone could relieve my stress! My wife is non EU and I am British. We are applying for ILR soon, having been here for two years. She is here on a spouse visa, but for a year of that time she was a uni student. For that period she had council tax exemption, and so the only name on the bill was mine and we had 25% discount (we rent a place together). Now, I'm fairly certain this is not claiming benefits, but as the time to apply nears, I'm starting to wonder if we did something wrong!
Can anyone clarify whether this is counted as benefits or not?
Thanks all in advance!

madhumesh
India

Post by madhumesh » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:50 pm

I think what you claim is Second adult rebate not council tax benefit.
You may get the Second Adult Rebate even if you don’t get Council Tax Benefit.

Funkydude
Newly Registered

Post by Funkydude » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi!
Thanks, but this wasn't a second adult rebate - I don't think you can get that if the person you're living with is your partner. This was the normal student exemption, which means they aren't counted on the council tax while they're studying, leaving the non-student with a 25% discount on the bill. Seeing as she's here on a spouse visa, does this go against her 'no recourse to public funds'?

madhumesh
India

Post by madhumesh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Ok, so your wife got Full-time students exemption still this should NOT count as council tax benefit which is a public fund.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:26 am

Student exemption isn't a benefit. I used to do that when I was a student and successfully got ILR so shouldn't be an issue. Same goes if you are living on your own and claiming SPD which isn't a benefit either.