ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expired Residence permit + Naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

huayra
Newly Registered

Expired Residence permit + Naturalization

Post by huayra » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Hello, I am a family member of a EEA citizen, I completed the 5 years residence on 22 oct 2012, so my RP is expired now. Do I need to get a visa extension to remain in the uk? Also could somebody tell me what the next step to get naturalization pls? I am a bit confused because some people say I need to get ILR and only after 1 year I can apply for and other say I can apply now.

Thanks for your help

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:44 pm

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Re: Expired Residence permit + Naturalization

Post by aledeniz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:17 pm

huayra wrote:Hello, I am a family member of a EEA citizen, I completed the 5 years residence on 22 oct 2012, so my RP is expired now.
You may actually be a PR already, i.e. if your EEA family has exercised treaty rights for 5 consecutive years meanwhile. BTW, I somewhat doubt you entered the UK the 22 oct 2007 8) My wife asked her RC some months after you, and it took 8 months and half for them to issue her one ...

huayra
Newly Registered

Post by huayra » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for your reply guys!!

To Aledenis: Actually I counting 5 years since my Residence Permit was issued, I'd applied long before October. We both have exercised treaty rights for that period of time and I know automatically I got the PR but what confuse me a bit, even after I've read Citizen FAQs, is that according with HO
there's no legal requirement to apply for PR, so..

Why people on similar case as mine do apply and they have to wait several months to get the stamp and then wait for extra 12 month before applying for naturalization?. Am I miss informed?

In the case I have to wait 12 months before applying for naturalization, does the period start counting since I completed the 5 years residence or since I get the stamp saying I am PR if I have to apply for it?

I apology for this questions I feel a bit silly for sometimes everything seems clear but the more I read the more I get confused :(

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:15 pm

I thought Q5 in the FAQ explains it all.

The dates on the RC are irrelevant. It is the actual dates of your presence in the UK that count. You have two options which are explained in Q5.

Why do people choose to apply for PR and wait? Maybe because they are not in a rush to get a BC or they want to reduce risk so they make a free application and then as they want to make a simple naturalisation application they wait 12 months or maybe they are not aware they can apply. Everyone has his own reasons.