ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My UKR wife taking our UK citizen child on holiday

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

talkingman
Newly Registered

My UKR wife taking our UK citizen child on holiday

Post by talkingman » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:29 pm

My wife is here on a British resident visa. We have a baby girl together. Born 22/11/06. We have been talking of when she will visit her parents without me and what possible problems could we encounter as our daughter will have a British Passport.

Will she have any difficulties at Uk airport? And what about in Kiev and Simferopol? Also, if anyone knows, what about Ukraine passport control on her return?

Any help much appreciated

JAJ
Australia

Re: My UKR wife taking our UK citizen child on holiday

Post by JAJ » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:52 am

talkingman wrote:My wife is here on a British resident visa. We have a baby girl together. Born 22/11/06. We have been talking of when she will visit her parents without me and what possible problems could we encounter as our daughter will have a British Passport.

Will she have any difficulties at Uk airport? And what about in Kiev and Simferopol? Also, if anyone knows, what about Ukraine passport control on her return?
A few thoughts:

- if your child has a British passport then make sure you know whether or not she needs a visa for the Ukraine.

- And if she is also a Ukrainian citizen, then check that it is legal for her to enter and leave on a British passport. She may need a Ukrainian passport as well.

- Make sure your wife's visa will not expire while she is outside the UK

- Your wife may want to think about carry with her a copy of the child's birth certificate + a letter from you giving consent for her to travel with your contact details (and maybe both translated into Ukrainian). No need to volunteer it, but have it available if asked by an airline or immigration official (not likely, but safer to have it than not).

mona-de-bois
Newly Registered

Post by mona-de-bois » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:52 pm

EU citizens, including British, don't need a visa to go to Ukraine for up to 90 days. So, they are free to enter and free to leave the country. Usually there aren't any problems at the airport except the queues are becoming longer with every coming year.

I assume your baby is too young to have a passport, but some kind of a citizenship certificate would be helpful. I think JAJ was right about caring the child's birth certificate + a letter from you, just in case, till the child is under 16. However, I don't think they need a translation (it's only my opinion).

talkingman wrote:My wife is here on a British resident visa. We have a baby girl together. Born 22/11/06. We have been talking of when she will visit her parents without me and what possible problems could we encounter as our daughter will have a British Passport.

Any help much appreciated

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:44 am

mona-de-bois wrote:I assume your baby is too young to have a passport, but some kind of a citizenship certificate would be helpful.
There is no such thing as "too young to have a passport". A British passport is definitely required.

There are no "citizenship certificates" in the United Kingdom for those who acquire British citizenship automatically at birth.

Also, it appears that the child may also be a Ukraine citizen if the mother has not become a British citizen:
http://www.ukrchicago.com/consular/engl ... ip_en.html

The U.S. State Department advises dual American/Ukraine citizens not to use a Ukrainian passport to enter the country. Similar advice is given (to Australian citizens) by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. The original poster should check with the Foreign Office to see what similar travel advice is given to British/Ukraine dual citizens:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _1053.html
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/ ... ce/Ukraine

If child is deemed a Ukrainian citizen by the Ukraine authorities, then the ability of the British Embassy to provide consular protection (eg if child is prevented from leaving) is quite limited.