ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Find a good Lawyer

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dansette
Newly Registered

Find a good Lawyer

Post by Dansette » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi

My wife is a US citizen, we have two children, both with UK passports. I'm a UK citizen by birth.

My wife has been here for two years and has passed her Life in the UK test. We were planning to put her Set M paperwork in, but had missread her passport and have just realised her visa expired today.

So I understand from the Home Office website that you have to apply for permanent leave to remain before your visa expires, but that is not possible for us now.

We were now thinking of engaging a lawyer to advise us, but have no idea how to find a good one, out of the many you find online.

Can anyone recommend how to go about finding a good lawyer?

cheers

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:40 am

You don't need an expensive lawyer to advise you. Also look at the Family Section of this board.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:31 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:06 pm

I was going to metion the same thing as vinny before i saw her link.

You wife should be ok to apply for settlement, the only problem is that, she will not be able to continue to have a right to work, whiles her application is been decided.

The only efffect is she will not have a Section 3C right.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Quote from an email from UKBA Settlement Policy:

You are correct that the Immigration Rules do not explicitly ask for valid leave at the time of application for settlement as the spouse of a settled person. However, it will be up to the caseworker to decide whether an extended period of overstaying calls the application into question.