ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Short question regarding "spouse visa" marriage ce

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lazulia
Newly Registered

Short question regarding "spouse visa" marriage ce

Post by Lazulia » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:53 pm

Hi there,

Can someone here confirm whether I absolutely need the marriage certificate for a spouse visa application or is a copy of the marriage contract enough? (here in Québec called DEC 50) Getting the certificate is going to take ages...I was advised by a notary public here in Canada that it can take up to 5 months for the marriage to be registered and the certificate issued. :(

Any ideas? thanks!
xx
Gen

antontony

Post by antontony » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:21 am

Hello,

The original is preferred and sometimes a must if you apply to IND in the UK, but for overseas applications to the British Immigration Posts, especially in EU, the copy should be fine.

Regards,

Anton

Lazulia
Newly Registered

Post by Lazulia » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi there,
Sorry for both of my posts ending up at the top, I did prefer to keep them separate because the subjets weren't the same, etc.

I wanted to post an update regarding this question I posted ages ago because I have received my settlement visa just last week (yeah!)

Basically, I ended up submitting the original italian wedding certificate from the Lucca town hall (where we got married) rather than bothering with the provicial certificate. I was actually advised to do this by UKvisa (who I thought would be better placed to know the answer than someone at premium phone number of an outsourcing "partner"). I must have been well advised because I did indeed get my visa.

I think the British High Commission in Canada should rephrase the bit on their website about the required wedding certificates ; it sounds as if you must send a provincial issued certificate when in reality, if you didn't get married in Canada, you might as well submit the original as it probably has more legal value than the certificates provinces issue.

Oh, I must add that, since my original certificate was issued in Italy, I was able to get it in a multiligual format (because of EU rules or something or other).

That's pretty much it. I wanted to post an update if ever someone has the same question at some point.

Have a nice weekend.
ciao!
Gen

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:13 pm

Congrats!
Jabi