ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working While on Temporary Absence

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Monty1968
Newly Registered

Working While on Temporary Absence

Post by Monty1968 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi,

I'm an Australian and successfully got my Indefinite Leave to Remain VISA in June this year after having worked here in the UK for five years.
I wish to apply for full citizenship in June 2013.
I am planning to go back to Australia for a couple of months for family reasons in early 2013.

My questions are:
1. What is the amount of time I can spend out of the UK in the year leading up to my citizenship application?
2. If/when I am in Australia, is it OK to work there? Or could this impact on my citizenship application?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:47 pm

1. 90 days in 12 months prior to BC app
2. Yes, shouldn't be a problem

Monty1968
Newly Registered

Post by Monty1968 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks for your reply.
That's very helpful.

I have several other queries:

1. Following my application for citizenship, what might time frame might be expected until it is accepted (or otherwise)?
2. Can I apply for a British passport immediately following acceptance of my application for citizenship (assuming my application is accepted)?
3. Do I need to be in the UK during the period immediately following my application for citizenship (while the appliction is being processed), or is it OK to travel abroad during this period?

Kind regards

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:11 pm

Monty1968 wrote:Thanks for your reply.
That's very helpful.

I have several other queries:

1. Following my application for citizenship, what might time frame might be expected until it is accepted (or otherwise)?
2. Can I apply for a British passport immediately following acceptance of my application for citizenship (assuming my application is accepted)?
3. Do I need to be in the UK during the period immediately following my application for citizenship (while the appliction is being processed), or is it OK to travel abroad during this period?

Kind regards
1. It could take anything upto 6 months.
2. Once your application is approved, you are required to attend a ceremony where you will be given certificate of Naturalisation. It is then you can apply for a British Passport.
3. you are required to be in the UK on the Day 5/3 years prior to the date when UKBA receives your application. You can travel after that but bear in mind that they might need to contact you/send you correspondence which might need an action from you.

Monty1968
Newly Registered

Post by Monty1968 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks for your reply.
Very much appreciated.
Just one more question: (apologies I keep thinking of more)

Q:
If I apply while unemployed, with all other criteria being OK, is this likely to be a problem?
(As I may not have a job to go to immediately after returning to the UK from OZ and I would like to apply for UK citizenship regardless).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Employment is not a requirement for citizenship. In the relevant section of the form you would write 'unemployed'
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Monty1968 wrote:Thanks for your reply.
Very much appreciated.
Just one more question: (apologies I keep thinking of more)

Q:
If I apply while unemployed, with all other criteria being OK, is this likely to be a problem?
(As I may not have a job to go to immediately after returning to the UK from OZ and I would like to apply for UK citizenship regardless).
That shouldn't be a problem for naturalisation. Good luck.