ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ancestry visa requirements initial and extension

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Ancestry visa requirements initial and extension

Post by mtuckersa » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:23 am

I have searched the net and have not found an aweful amount of info on this.

Sometime ago I found a minimum income requirement on extension of an ancestral visa, that was £25,000pa but can't find that info any longer, has it been scrapped for extension/ILR?

Another question, in terms of employment requirement, if I were to invest in property and generate income from the rental incomes would that be considered self-employment and be considered satisfactory to meet the extension/ILR requirement as well as initial ancestry visa application.

If someone could point me to UKBA official info to confirm the info I am looking I would also appreciate that greatly

Thanks in advance
Keep it simple!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:37 am

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... -ancestry/

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
mtuckersa wrote: if I were to invest in property and generate income from the rental incomes would that be considered self-employment and be considered satisfactory to meet the extension/ILR requirement as well as initial ancestry visa application.
No. That's not defined as self-employment. Just because you garner income from a specific source and declare this to HMRC, does qualify as self-employment employed.

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Post by mtuckersa » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:50 pm

But what if I manage the properties, surely that is self-employment
Keep it simple!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Yes, that's fine but your SE income would be restricted to property management fees rather than rents - duly registered as self-employed in that capacity. You can't claim that the rental income is from self-employment as clearly it is not. You will be taxed on the rents in a separate capacity to SE income. At the very best, your property management fees would be a 15% fringe on the monthly letting fees. You would have to manage a large amount of property to garner a living wage. If it's only going to be a pittance in property management fees there seems to be conflict with the immigration requirement for this category. You will be self-sufficient based on your rental income rather than economically active from your SE management income. You can't be self-sufficient on an Ancestry visa and readily expect to get ILR.