ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should I apply for my EEA1 along with my partner's EEA2?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sofia.d.c

Should I apply for my EEA1 along with my partner's EEA2?

Post by sofia.d.c » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I am an Italian citizen residing in London as a student with my partner, who is Canadian and currently on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa. We will soon be applying for his EEA2. I was wondering, would it be of any use/speed the application along if I were to apply for my EEA1 in conjunction with his EEA2? In the EEA2 forms, it says I should apply separately, but I've heard of lots of people applying for these together. We will be getting married at the beginning of January and will literally be heading to the post office right after we tie the knot. So a few questions:

1) What difference would it make if I applied for my EEA1 along with my partner's EEA2?

2) Should we include both applications in the same envelope?

3) If we do include both applications in the same envelope, to which department should we address the application? Should we say "EEA1," "EEA2," or "EEA1 & EEA2" (which doesn't exist) on the envelope to the Liverpool office?

4) Would this help or hinder the application in any way?

5) Has anyone RECENTLY (in the past six months or so) applied for joint EEA1 and EEA2? If so, would you mind sharing your experiences? For example, when you received the COA, when each RC was delivered, etc.

Thanks!

Sofia.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:44 pm

1. None.
2. Yes.
3. One of the three option. I would probably put EEA1 & EEA2. These aren't different departments. They all come to the same place (European applications).
4. No. The only "advantage" is that the Registration Certficate for the EEAa national is issued faster (normally at the same time the CoA is issued) so you get a good indication if the application is successful (as the only remaining issue for the non EEA is just to prove the family relationship).

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks, Jambo. So as far as you know, applying with a "joint" application will neither speed up nor slow down receiving the RC for the EEA2 application? I really don't care about getting my registration certificate, I am just trying to figure out whether or not it will be advantageous at all.

I ask specifically because on older forum posts people who applied with a joint EEA1/2 got their applications processed much more quickly. But this is going back to 2007, it could be completely different now.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:07 pm

It definitely won't slow it down. It might speed it up. The logic is that once the Registration Certificate is issued, there isn't much left to do for the Residence Card but nevertheless the HO tend to make use of the full 6 months to respond.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Yes thats true as friend of mine at work applied eea1 and eea2 together and got success very quick. At the end of 2nd month he got his eea1 registration certificate & coa and then in the middle of the 1st week of 3rd month he got his eea2 rc. Eea1 surely make the initial validation, processing and decision very quick.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks for that, do you know how long ago your friend applied for the joint application?

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 pm

He applied in the end of june 2012 and till september he received everything eea1 registration card & coa and then eea2 rc. Each post came by royal mail special delivery instead of 2nd class stamp.
REGARDS

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Post by aledeniz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:38 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Thanks for that, do you know how long ago your friend applied for the joint application?
There ain't no fix rules, I am afraid.
Two good friends of mine (Italian husband + non EEA wife) who applied to EEA1 and EEA2 this year got the EEA2 in 8 months and are still waiting for the EEA1 (which they have already solicited to no avail).

But I'd agree that generally applying for EEA1 and EEA2 at the same time doesn't look a bad idea.

As an Italian student residing in London, do you have an Italian EHIC? My own understanding is that once you live overseas with the intention to stay abroad somewhere more than 12 months, the Italian laws stipulate you should subscribe to the AIRE register, and once you are in the AIRE, you loose the access to the SSN (the Italian NHS), and hence I wouldn't be that sure about the cover offered by an Italian EHIC in such circumstances. Chances there are the UKBA may not know either. :roll:

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Yes I know I'm going to have to get CSI, I was just writing about it in another thread. Any CSI recommendations? Please post them here!

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 060#748060

dradilmahmood
United Kingdom

Post by dradilmahmood » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:10 am

Hello me and my wife applied for eea2 and eea1 respectively.

I have applied on 16th nov 2012
Got COA for eea2 on 23/24 nov 2012 dated 21st nov 2012
Now waiting for residence certif and residence card for both of us and a child

Even my 2 year kid got coa with right to work hahahahah :D

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Should I apply for my EEA1 along with my partner's EEA2?

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:27 am

sofia.d.c wrote:I am an Italian citizen residing in London as a student with my partner, who is Canadian and currently on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa
Are you working?
Are you married?
If you are not married, how long have you been in a relationship akin to marriage (e.g. living together)?

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 am

@ dradilmehmood.
It should not be true and funny as because eea1 never get coa. Coa is only being issued to eea2 applicant then how your kid got coa. Are you ok.
REGARDS

dradilmahmood
United Kingdom

Post by dradilmahmood » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:10 am

Sheraz my son has pakistani passport so hd got eea2 applicaton and coa

He havent got eu birth certificate ciz he was born in pak

He had eea family permit stamped in his passport

Sorry for not making clarificaton

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:32 am

@dradilmahmood - please keep me posted on your EEA1 and your family's EEA2 receipt!

@Directive/2004/38/EC - we have proof of having lived together since June 2011. However, we will be getting married in a couple of weeks to fill the gap. I am a full-time student being financially backed by my parents in Canada and will be getting CSI in the next week.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:42 am

If you are married, then there is no gap to fill. Your past relationship history is at that point interesting but not relevant to his residence.

You can get married in Canada or the UK or Denmark or whereever.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:10 am

@Directive - we just thought it would be prudent to show some that we've been together for a while because we will be sending the application out on the day that we get married, and wouldn't want to arouse any suspicion that we are getting married for visa purposes (even though we kind of are. By which I mean that we are a legitimate couple who share our lives together, but at this point in our lives, we wouldn't be getting married if it weren't for my partner needing to get an EEA2). Also, we will be getting married in the UK.
Last edited by sofia.d.c on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:14 pm

@dradilmahmood - also, to whom did you address your application? By this I mean, on your application envelope, did you write that the application contained "EEA1" or "EEA2" or did you write "EEA1 and EEA2"?

dradilmahmood
United Kingdom

Post by dradilmahmood » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Sofia.d.c

I sent both eea1 n 2 applications in same pack and on the same address of liverpool eea section as same adress is written on both application forms

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am

Does anyone else have any experience getting the EEA1&2 together? Timelines would be appreciated!

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:15 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Does anyone else have any experience getting the EEA1&2 together? Timelines would be appreciated!

Your curiosity can only be resolved once you will personally apply eea1 & eea2 together while being in UK. Each individual case differs in terms of its timescale depending on the attached evidences and the competency/perception of caseworker. For generic overview about timescale just refer to the thread called EEA2 application timeline.
REGARDS

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:09 pm

Just trying to gather info to put my mind at ease like everyone else on this forum!