ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 s. 3 (1) applying outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anna555
Newly Registered

MN1 s. 3 (1) applying outside UK

Post by anna555 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:52 am

Hi,

I'd be really grateful if someone could help answer my questions.

I was adopted abroad in "Designation" country by my british step-dad and finish filling MN1 form. I'm 17.9 y.o. Have all doc. which listed in guidance except:

1) evidence of the parent's country of habitual residence.

We live permanently abroad and should provide evidence of habitual residence . Any idea which kind doc is it?

Please could someone explain me :

2) Receiving authority - "the Home Secretary " - not so clear for me, should I write it on envelope with address or on my application? I read if it wrong my application will be invalid.

3) Should I send my application form straight to ? :
UK Border Agency
The Capital
New Hall Place
Liverpool
L3 9PP

Thnx

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:10 am

1. See 11. Basically, proof that this is your normal place of residence such as passport/permanent residence visas, employment, ownership of your home etc.

2. Just send it to the address in 3 (unless you are in HOmg Kong). By receiving your application, the UKBA is the "receiving authority".

3. Yes.

anna555
Newly Registered

Post by anna555 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Jambo wrote:1. See 11. Basically, proof that this is your normal place of residence such as passport/permanent residence visas, employment, ownership of your home etc.

2. Just send it to the address in 3 (unless you are in HOmg Kong). By receiving your application, the UKBA is the "receiving authority".

3. Yes.
Thank you very much for help.

I read above that doctor cannot be a professional referees "who has engaged with child" . Is it true ?
One of my Referees - doctor , should i find another referees ?
It's will be a problem . My teacher doesn't want to be a referees . :(

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Doctor is fine.

anna555
Newly Registered

Post by anna555 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:03 am

Many Thanks for your advice.
I have one more question .

May I use a Nationality checking service ?

In january i will spend a week in Edinburgh and I would prefer to use a NCS than send application by post . But I'm not sure if it's possible because I'm not a resident of UK and live abroad .

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 am

I see no reason why you can't use NCS.

anna555
Newly Registered

Post by anna555 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:24 am

Jambo wrote:I see no reason why you can't use NCS.
Thanks

anna555
Newly Registered

Post by anna555 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:06 pm

I have 1 more question, I'm recheck the application form and found mistake in Referees and Identity page .
Referee made mistake in my name, wrote - Stefania , by passport I'm Stefaniya . Just missed one letter .

Is it serious mistake ? and I should again ask both referees to re filling Referees page ?

I'm trying to make an appointment in NCS Edinburgh but they don't have any available until 17th of January .
Today send appointment booking form to Hamilton and now don't know what to do .
UKBA will refuse my application with such a small mistake or not ? :(

anna555
Newly Registered

Post by anna555 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi , I'm really upset . Just back from NCS centre and they are doesn't want to take my application , told me I'm not entitled claim by MN 1 for British citizen because I'm not met the residence criteria and I'm over 13 y.o and we doesn't live in Uk .

I read British citizenship chapter 9 and it says that :

When it has been decided that the application is properly one under s.3(1), the minor's circumstances should be considered. The full list of criteria which we normally expect minors to meet is set out in 9.17, but there are a number of applications where other criteria are set out (see 9.6 to 9.16). Minors in these categories do not need to meet all the criteria in 9.17.

Think I falls into one of the categories in 9.8 -9.8.3 . But Lady from NCS said that I should permanently live in UK for 2 years and be under 13 y.o to clime up for British citizen thru MN 1. I'm confuse now .

Pleas give me advice, she is right ?
Thanks

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:50 am

anna555 wrote: Think I falls into one of the categories in 9.8 -9.8.3 . But Lady from NCS said that I should permanently live in UK for 2 years and be under 13 y.o to clime up for British citizen thru MN 1. I'm confuse now .
The "Lady from NCS" is wrong. The 2 year residence requirement does not apply to overseas adoptions. That's even clear on the Home Office website, without even needing to read the Nationality Instructions.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... tedabroad/

Insist that she reads the Home Office regulations and accepts the application (she doesn't have to decide it). If she refuses, either a. find another NCS and/or make an application to the Home Office by courier.

Also, make a complaint to the council concerned and/or the Home Office.

Whatever you do, do not wait longer to submit your application. If you are aged 18 or over on the day it arrives in the Home Office, they cannot grant you citizenship under section 3(1).

anna555
Newly Registered

Post by anna555 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:07 pm

JAJ , thank you very much for answer .
That Lady really confused me and I'm nearly give up .
I'll be 18 in the March . Next monday I'll send application and documents by DHL Express courier . I don't want use any more NCS , they are useless and just confused people . Dad said he will make a complaint, he is not happy with the quality of the service and the professional competence of the NCS employee .

I'm just not sure should I send my mom's passport ? she is not a British citizen .

I'll send :
-my passport
-my birth certificate
-my dad's passport and birth certificate ( he is a British)
-parents’ marriage certificate
-adoption Order
-report from the Children and Family Support Service about adoption with all details
- court decision about deprivation in parents rights my biological father and his permission for adoption
-confirmation from the Children and Family Support Service that all relevant adoption laws have been complied
- my dad's EEA permanent residence permit in the country in which we live and mine too
- letter from school
- And a letter from the city council to confirm our address

May be anybody hear that kids like me got a British citizenship with same circumstances ? I think I'm too adult :(
Unfortunately 4 year ago when my dad adopt me parents doesn't know anything about registration .

anna555
Newly Registered

Post by anna555 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Today i got approval letter from UKBA. My application has been successful :D
After citizenship ceremony (as i'm now 18 y.o) i will get my certificate of British citizenship .
Now waiting invitation letter .
Thank you Jambo and JAJ for you help and advise . This forum has been helpful.

Application Timeline
Eligibility criteria: section 3(1) adoption abroad in "Designation" country
Method of application: Postal from abroad
Date of Application: 01/02/2013
Date of receipt by UKBA: 05/02/2013 Tracking
Date of debit of fees: 12/02/2013 ( £ 631 )
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: n/a
Date of receipt of approval: 05/03/2013
Date of receipt of documents: 05/03/2013
Date of Ceremony: 28/05/2013
Date of receipt of registration certificate: 28/05/2013

Reference - Family doctor and Teacher , both non UK citizen.
Last edited by anna555 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Post by aledeniz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:03 pm

JAJ wrote:Also, make a complaint to the council concerned and/or the Home Office.
I wonder how hard is to write a software to guide and assist the tasks of the NCS clerks.

anna555
Newly Registered

Post by anna555 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 pm

It has been 3 weeks since I received approval and I have not received yet the invitation letter for citizenship ceremony .
In approval letter was written if I don't receive invitation letter within 2 weeks of the approval date I should emailing the Nationality Enquiries team .
I did it twice but didn't received any answer . I contacted with the UK embassy in the country where I live but they cannot help me .

What I should do now ? How to contact with UKBA and get my invitation letter . I even don't have any idea which is my Local Authority .

Please help with any suggestions ,
Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Are you over 18? Only over 18 need to attend a ceremony. If you live abroad, it normally take place in the embassy.

anna555
Newly Registered

Post by anna555 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Jambo wrote:Are you over 18? Only over 18 need to attend a ceremony. If you live abroad, it normally take place in the embassy.
Thanks Jambo,
Yes, I'm 18 . I contacted with the British Consulate and they said that don't know how to help me and I should write to the ukba .
Tomorrow I will try to call to the Main British Embassy .

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:04 am

anna555 wrote:Thanks Jambo,
Yes, I'm 18 . I contacted with the British Consulate and they said that don't know how to help me and I should write to the ukba .
Tomorrow I will try to call to the Main British Embassy .
Embassy will not be able to help unless you have an invitation + the name of a designated person.

Does your correspondence with the UKBA have any telephone number in Liverpool that you can call?

anna555
Newly Registered

Post by anna555 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:55 pm

JAJ wrote:Does your correspondence with the UKBA have any telephone number in Liverpool that you can call?
Yes, 0845 010 5200, I tried to call few time, but I can never get through to speak to anyone, there just answer machine. A recorded voice says to send email and wait 20 day for response. Today I send to UKBA the letter by post to address :
UKBA,
Depertment 16,
The Capital, Old Hall Street,
Liverpool , L39PP
and enclose pre-paid envelope.
I don't know what can I do else. It's like dead end.

Am I right, that I have to attend the ceremony within 3 months from date of approval otherwise I lose rights for citizenship ?