ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching Work Permit to Tier 2 General advice

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

harrygurbani
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Switching Work Permit to Tier 2 General advice

Post by harrygurbani » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi,

I'm here on a work Permit and I was made redundant on the 6th of Dec. 2012. However, i have a new job offer and i wanted some advice on switching my Work Permit over to a Tier 2 General. Details of my Visa as below:

Visa Issue date: 22nd January 2008
Visa Expiry Date: 22nd January 2013
UK entry Date: 1st march 2008
Job Start date: 3rd march 2008
Last day of Job: 6th December 2012

Can i apply for a tier 2 general with a new employer?
What is the estimated processing time?
If i have completed the gap between the employments and because i have switched visas, can i still apply for ILR when i have completed 5 years?

I would appreciate your valuable advise,

Thanks,

HG.

harrygurbani
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by harrygurbani » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi,

There was also one thing i wanted to know, is Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled worker the same as a Tier 2 general visa? While booking my dates on line should i select the Tier 2 sponsored skilled worker as the visa type?

Thanks,

HG.

Jeeves

Post by Jeeves » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Can i apply for a tier 2 general with a new employer? - Yes, as long as you meet all the relevant criteria.

What is the estimated processing time? See: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ing-times/

I don't know much about ILR so can't answer that bit.

'Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled worker' is just another name for 'Tier 2' - select this unless there is an option specifically for 'Tier 2 (General)'.

harrygurbani
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by harrygurbani » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:09 am

Thanks for your reply Jeeves. I am now booking my dates for the application in person. I have stayed all day on line trying to get a date and I was hinted that between 12 am to 1 am is the lucky hour. I haven't been lucky though.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:40 am

harrygurbani wrote:Thanks for your reply Jeeves. I am now booking my dates for the application in person. I have stayed all day on line trying to get a date and I was hinted that between 12 am to 1 am is the lucky hour. I haven't been lucky though.
For some "tricks" on how to book a PEO appointment online see:
http://londonseye.blogspot.co.uk/2012/1 ... -home.html

BUT

you cannot apply for Tier 2 General leave unless you have a CoS from your new employer.

If you succeed in switching to T2G you will be eligible for ILR provided you meet all the relevant requirements

harrygurbani
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by harrygurbani » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks Manci for your reply. I would be getting the Certificate of Sponsorship and offer letter mid-next week. I was thinking of booking the appointment now and filling up details for me and my dependants as we don't have those many days left in our current visa (22nd Jan 2013) and i've heard it would be tricky getting the dates in the first place. I haven't been lucky yet to see what details would be needed online, would i need anything from the CoS like a serial no. or anything else? If that's the case there's no point doing anything now.
If i don't get an appointment on time, what should be my next plan of action? Can i approach a solicitor, do they have pre-booked slots?

Kindly advice,

Thanks,

HG

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:20 pm

I don't think you need a CoS for booking an appointment:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/about ... pointment/

Use the "tricks" - link above. Apparently the best time to try is around midnight but cancellations may come up any time.

Some solicitors and OISC advisor are registered for special access to PEO slots and may be able to help.

harrygurbani
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by harrygurbani » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks Manci, i appreciate your time and advice. The links you have provided have answered many of my questions.

Thanks,

HG