ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Carte De Sejour in married name but wife uses maiden name

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tebee
United Kingdom

Carte De Sejour in married name but wife uses maiden name

Post by tebee » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm

I'm a British citizen living in France, married to a Thai girl and after only 4 and a half months we have managed to obtain her Carte De Sejour.

Only snag is they have issued it using my surname and my wife elected to retain her own on marriage. We applied using her name and indeed the recepisse was issued using the right name.

So there is now a miss-match between the Carte De Sejour and her passport - will this cause us lots of problems ? Or are we just going to have to carry a copy of our marriage certificate with us all the time?

Tom
“I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare: and I dare a little more as I grow older.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Personally I'd be inclined to try and have the document corrected with the same information as is in the passport.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:00 pm

I am very unclear about marriage name change in general and legal issues it may or may not raise.

You are very smart to always carry your marriage certificate in a situation like this: it proves the relationship which is the source of the right of free movement of your wife.

Is this question just in terms of ongoing life in France?

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:44 am

Tebee could you please tell us the duration of your wife's carte de sejour if you don't mind.
Thanks.
Did u sell your soul for a mere stack?

tebee
United Kingdom

Post by tebee » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi, sorry about the long delay replying to this, wife got taken ill, and had to return home as we have not got her into the French medical system yet - had we had the card before this might have been easier ! Luckily she still has her medical cover there as she may need an operation, though I would have preferred to have done that here.

We did not have a chance to pick up the card, but have spoken the issuing office to clarify the details. It has been issued in my name as that is how they say she gains her rights here, will have to see what happens when she tries to use it.

It's only been issued until July 2013, the anniversary of when we applied, this would seem to be in contravention of the EU directive and is going to make life hard, as she will be travelling back and forth regularly for a while yet. She is still working, doing 2 months on, two months off,back there as her qualifications are not recognized by France.
“I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare: and I dare a little more as I grow older.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Where is she working?

Are you working in France or doing something different? Did they offer any explanation about the 1 year expiry?

frei
BANNED

Post by frei » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:17 pm

tebee wrote:
It's only been issued until July 2013, the anniversary of when we applied, this would seem to be in contravention of the EU directive and is going to make life hard, as she will be travelling back and forth regularly for a while yet. She is still working, doing 2 months on, two months off,back there as her qualifications are not recognized by France.
This is clearly wrong tebee, how good is your French knowledge, if you are that good I'd suggest you go right back at the office and ask them, how? where? when? ask them if the law had changed for family members of EU citizens, it should be standard 5 years validity if the law has changed asked them when and you'd like to see a copy of that.

This seems to be a growing practise by the French, it appears to be the usual process in France issuing for an initial period of one year and subsequent 5 years to follow. Ignorant bunch

tebee
United Kingdom

Post by tebee » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:31 pm

My business is registered in France although as most of my work is on the internet I actually do some work in Thailand, though most of the year I do work from France - I design and sell model trains http://www.shapeways.com/shops/tebee

My wife is a Doctor, but her qualification is Chinese, so she can not work here as one. She is currently doing two month stints at a private hospital just outside Bangkok until we find some why of her making some sort of income here and I don't really want to see her doing night shifts at the local chicken factory.

The explanation of why it was just for a year was "that is the way we do it ".

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:23 pm

tebee wrote:
You can complain. The only reason for not using the default five years is when someone intends to reside for less.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:27 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:You can complain. The only reason for not using the default five years is when someone intends to reside for less.
I would encourage you to complain.

tebee
United Kingdom

Post by tebee » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:11 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
tebee wrote:
You can complain. The only reason for not using the default five years is when someone intends to reside for less.
Sorry to drag this thread back up from the dead , but we have been trying to sort the renewal of the card today as it's going to run out again soon and got given a total different reason for only issuing a one year card.

It's that the new card will be biometric, they were issuing the short term ones because they were waiting for the equipment to be installed.

It's probably a better excuse than the first one.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:04 pm

While it might be a better excuse, will they charge a fee?

tebee
United Kingdom

Post by tebee » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Well if it's not free I'll be complaining to Solvit.

The also had a notice up saying if you did not renew by the time the old one expires they will charge you a fee of 180 euros.

On the new application form they have ticked the boxes that say I have to provide Justificatif de ressources ( last 3 paychecks) and medical insurance - also proof of domicile, which I suppose might be valid?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:13 pm

If you work, medical insurance should not berequired.