ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration of iranian national following marriage

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rajvoh
Newly Registered

Immigration of iranian national following marriage

Post by rajvoh » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:55 am

Hi
I'm a British national and planning to marry an Iranian national (currently residing in Malaysia). How easy/ difficult it would be for her to travel to the UK (before marriage, which i'd prefer) or for us to get married in Malaysia and then come over?
Would she struggle, being an Iranian, is the question.
Thanks in advance

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:13 am

I am moving your question to a more appropriate place in the forum.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:35 pm

In order to enter the UK to marry, you will have to apply for a fiance visa. This will grant a 6 month period in which to marry and then apply on form FLR(M) for a further 5 year spouse visa.
You need to be earning a minimum of £18,600 yearly or have at least £16,500 in savings to make up the shortfall, have adequate accommodation for you both and be able to submit evidence that the relationship is genuine. Your fiancee will have to pass the mandatory A1 English test before applying.
If you choose to marry in Malaysia, the basic requirements are the same, but you would only apply for one visa...spouse settlement, which would save you in fees.

jenlemon
Newly Registered

Iranian Spouse

Post by jenlemon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:00 pm

I don't know about Malaysia, but for Iranians in Iran it is a nightmare. When I first applied for a visitor's visa for my Iranian (now) husband to come to visit me in the UK, it took so long just to get the appointment at the British Embassy in Tehran (which has since closed) that by the time we finally got the appointment we decided that we definitely wanted to be together and so we changed it to a fiance visa application instead.
The application itself isn't too bad, you need to prove that you can support your fiance and supply various documents to support the legitimacy of your relationship, but at least when we applied 2.5 years ago we got a (positive) decision about 4-5 weeks later.
My suggestion is that if you know you want to marry, just go for the fiance visa. It still gives you 6 months together in the UK (during which time your fiance cannot work or study) but you must marry by the end of those 6 months or your fiance must leave. I think it's quite a sensible way for people from disparate countries to spend time really living together and be absolutely certain you want to proceed.

ID29

Re: Immigration of iranian national following marriage

Post by ID29 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:25 pm

rajvoh wrote:... Would she struggle, being an Iranian, is the question.
I know relations between the UK and Iran aren't good at the moment but unless she is/was a member of the military or Iranian Government I don't see why the UK authorities would be concerned.

Not sure if the application would complicated because she is applying from a third country, perhaps someone else can advise? I think it depends on her current immigration status in Malaysia.

I can tell you that applications made in Malaysia are fairly efficient; the actual decisions being made in Manila, (Philippines). Strangely, the last time I was in KL I met some Iranians and we got on very well, nice people. So don't worry about her nationality.

rajvoh
Newly Registered

Post by rajvoh » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 am

Thank you all very much..... useful information to work with now :-)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:30 pm

I should have made clearer the visa terms following a FLR(M) application if the marriage is in the UK. Under the new rules, a probationary spouse visa is issued for 2.5 years after which your wife would then have to apply for a further 2.5 years in order to qualify for ILR.
As has already been mentioned, whether your fiancee can apply from Malaysia depends on her legal status there. This is assuming you've actually met in person.