ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship via descent

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

benne42
Newly Registered

Citizenship via descent

Post by benne42 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with the following :-

My mum was born in the UK in 1943 – her mum (my grandmother) was born in Ireland and is of Irish descent. My mum has not been registered on the FBR.

The citizens information site states

“If either of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, then you are automatically an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth” AND “So, if you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was himself or herself born in Ireland, then you are an Irish citizen”

Am I correct in assuming that my mother is an Irish citizen regardless if she was registered on the FBR

I was born in 1970, in order to become a citizen – I will need to register on the FBR (I am not registered).

My children were born in 1998 and 2001, as I was not registered on the FBR before they were born they can not obtain citizenship through this route. However, would I be correct in assuming they could obtain citizenship through my Mum (as a grandparent) as she is ‘classed’ an Irish citizen?

Thanks in advance….

BrightonJohn
Newly Registered

Post by BrightonJohn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi Benne42

Your mum is an Irish Citizen and can obtain a passport if she wishes. She doesn't need to register for the FBR.

You are correct in saying that you will need to register via the FBR route to become a citizen. It took my cousin about a month to receive his certificate now the form is done online. (see link for more info: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=117266 )

I don't think your children can claim citizenship, as it was their great-grandmother who was born in Ireland. If you had your FBR before they were born, then they would be able to claim citizenship.

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:57 pm

I think that the children can claim citizenship from their Irish citizen grandmother.

They need to register on the FBR straight away, as do you, as these rules could be changed. Just send a copy of their great grandmother's birth cert, with their grandmother's birth cert, explaining that grandma is an Irish citizen.

'If one of your grandparents is an Irish citizen but none of your parents was born in Ireland, you may become an Irish citizen. You will need to have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register.

If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration.'
BL

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:45 pm

benne42
Newly Registered

Post by benne42 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 am

Thanks people,

I have just started researching the family tree and our Irish heritage is something I would like to maintain within the family.

Cheers