ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does a Naturalisation certificate expire?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SpokenHands

Does a Naturalisation certificate expire?

Post by SpokenHands » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:09 pm

FOR A MINOR NOT REQUIRED TO ATTEND A CEREMONY AFTER NATURALISATION:
Are you obliged to apply for a british passport within a certain period after receiving a certificate of naturalisation?

My son who is under 18 years of age (and therefore did not need to attend any ceremonies) recd his certificate of naturalisation a few months ago. Purely for convenience reasons, I elected to apply for his passport along with the rest of the family (when we become eligible in Feb and complete due process).

Suddenly occurred to me that, whereas there is no explicit guidance in the MN1 notes on this subject except for when a ceremony is required, I did want to check with those who may be able to guide me here.

Thank you.

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:17 pm

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:03 pm

Let me guess SpokenHands, your under-18 son has not actually got a Certificate of Naturalisation?

I think you will find he actually has a Certificate of Registration.

So he is British! It is not, and never has been, a requirement for British Citizens to hold a valid in-date British passport. British Citizens who do not have a British passport and no less British than those that hold one.
John

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:43 am

Thank you both.

Following my wife and I receiving our ILRs in February, we applied for registration as a british citizen for my minor son born in the uk via form MN1. Good guess.