ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK citizen planning to marry US fiancee in Michigan

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Leonard Hatred
Newly Registered

UK citizen planning to marry US fiancee in Michigan

Post by Leonard Hatred » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:15 pm

This is not really a visa query,just wondering how I go about getting married there,regarding wedding licence etc. Can I just go there on a tourist visa,stay for 2 weeks,get married,then return home and apply for a spouse visa?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:24 pm

Well, I don't know if this suggestion appeals to you, but when I got married in my wife's homeland, I had her make all the relevant local enquiries, and naturally she was delighted to do this very simple task on our mutual behalf as she was living in that location. Soon after we tied the knot!

iamearlene
Newly Registered

Re: UK citizen planning to marry US fiancee in Michigan

Post by iamearlene » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:18 pm

Leonard Hatred wrote:This is not really a visa query,just wondering how I go about getting married there,regarding wedding licence etc. Can I just go there on a tourist visa,stay for 2 weeks,get married,then return home and apply for a spouse visa?
US embassy don't give visa's to people who are single after certain age because they think that you will get married and settled there and you wont return ever even if your intentions are not to stay there. So, the main question for now is would you get the tourist visa? If everything goes in your favour, ofcourse you can do that. You need to show strong financial documents and convince them that you will go back to your home country as soon as the purpose of the visit is over.

US Immigration Reform 2013

bertram
Newly Registered

Re: UK citizen planning to marry US fiancee in Michigan

Post by bertram » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Leonard Hatred wrote:This is not really a visa query,just wondering how I go about getting married there,regarding wedding licence etc. Can I just go there on a tourist visa,stay for 2 weeks,get married,then return home and apply for a spouse visa?
I you are on esta (vwp) no problem as you describe a timely departure.

marksmithe
BANNED

Post by marksmithe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:20 pm

This is the exact situation described below.
US embassy don't give visa's to people who are single after certain age because they think that you will get married and settled there and you wont return ever even if your intentions are not to stay there.
So you may apply for visit visa only just meet her.