ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need to travel soon OCI + Visitor Visa India both at once?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hillybilly
Newly Registered

Need to travel soon OCI + Visitor Visa India both at once?

Post by hillybilly » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:14 pm

A very Happy 2013 to you all.

I am planning a visit to India for about 4 weeks starting last week of Jan2013. I have been preparing my application for OCI last couple of days, just finished doing the online form bit and took the printouts etc. Still need to go to the Indian Consulate (HCI London) for applying in person.

The way it seems with the processing timeline for OCI from the forum discussions, I might not have the OCI card issued before my travel dates.

I was wondering if it is feasible to make the application for a Visitor Visa at the same time or a little before OCI application. I am assuming technically it should be possible only if OCI application will not need me submitting British Passport (original) which I will need to travel if I get the visitor visa first.

I have heard about a 'U' sticker that needs to go on the British/Foreign passport, however, the original passport is not required as per the doc checklist for OCI on HCI/VFS webpages.. unless I overlooked something.

I could have left the OCI application for later but, since these days the timelines seem to have stretched, I'd rather have it done and over with than starting it on my return.

Any thoughts or any experience with this?

PS: I am in possession of certificate of surrendered passport.
Last edited by hillybilly on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:17 pm

I presume you have already surrendered your indian pp - if not, you may need to do that prior submitting visitor visa application.

hillybilly
Newly Registered

Post by hillybilly » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:22 pm

Yes. I already have the certificate for that. I'll add it to the original post. Thanks.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:23 pm

If you surrendered your Indian passport you will have no option but to apply for visa for India. Thinking of OCI will be simply haphazard in your circumstances.

And for visa you must apply through VFS either in person or postal; and not the HCI.

You dont need any originals for the OCI application, which has to be dealt directly with HCI either in person or postal, as you may be in HCI jurisdiction.

If I were you I would go for visa as its insurance against OCI delay and apply OCI same time with embassy/consulate.

Good luck.

ban.s

Re: Need to travel soon OCI + Visitor Visa India both at onc

Post by ban.s » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:03 pm

hillybilly wrote:
I was wondering if it is feasible to make the application for a Visitor Visa at the same time or a little before OCI application. I am assuming technically it should be possible only if OCI application will not need me submitting British Passport (original) which I will need to travel if I get the visitor visa first.
I don't foresee any issue. You don't need to submit British Passport for OCI application (only photocopies are required). So perhaps get your Indian visa first and then apply for OCI.

hillybilly
Newly Registered

Post by hillybilly » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Thank you, ban.s and Mauser1905.