ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in the uk but abroad ATM

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cheekyvirgin

Child born in the uk but abroad ATM

Post by cheekyvirgin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 am

All application has to come to UK regardless of where ever you apply for Child registration as a British citizen.

So question is can someone apply for their kids registering while father in the UK on ILR and kids back home.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am

Yes.

spbos
Newly Registered

Post by spbos » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Jambo wrote:Yes.
Hi Jambo and others,

I am a naturalized UK citizen. I have two kids (3 years and 6 years), both are born in the UK prior to my obtaining ILR. They have Indian passports now (currently on dependent visas) and I need to register them for British citizenship. I plan to travel to India for a few years to take care of my aging parents and ultimately would like to come back to UK and live here permanently.

I have opted to keep the Indian passports for the kids because I am not sure what difficulties they might face for studies in India (in terms of getting admission and tuition fees etc). My question is - can I register them for British citizens from Indian. I think the answer is yes and I will have to send their application to the new Liverpool UKBA address.

There are quite afew posts in the forum similar to this. Where the child is in India and the parents are in UK. But in my case even the parents will be in India (my husband does not have citizenship). Is it relevant for the children registration?

I guess there is no residency requirement for the children in section 1(3). However is there any residency requirements for the parents? What to write in section 2 of the MN1 form- that we are away in India. Will that be fine with the home office?

I need to travel shortly and will greatly appreciate your inputs on this. Thank you.
Last edited by spbos on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:56 pm

spbos wrote:I have opted to keep the Indian passports for the kids because I am not sure what difficulties they might face for studies in India (in terms of getting admission and tuition fees etc). My question is - can I register them for British citizens from Indian. I think the answer is yes and I will have to send their application to the new Liverpool UKBA address.
I'm confused. If you opted to keep their Indian citizenship why are you looking to apply for BC from India. Once they become British, they automatically will lose their Indian citizenship.
There are quite afew posts in the forum similar to this. Where the child is in India and the parents are in UK. But in my case even the parents will be in India (my husband does not have citizenship). Is it relevant for the children registration?
No. It doesn't matter where the parent or the child are.
I guess there is no residency requirement for the children in section 1(3). However is there any residency requirements for the parents? What to write in section 2 of the MN1 form- that we are away in India. Will that be fine with the home office?
There are no residence requirements for the children. The only requirement for the parent is to hold ILR. There are no residential requirement. As long as the application is made before the child is 18 even if the child is living abroad, the application will be granted.

spbos
Newly Registered

Post by spbos » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi Jambo,

I am sorry. My post was not clear. Yes, I would like to keep Indian passports for the kids for the time being. I anticipate I may have to stay in India for a while and I am concerned that British citizen children may face some problems there in terms of school admission and tuition fees. However, we all plan to come back to UK in a few years time and I was trying to figure out if we could register our children as British citizen from India before we travel to UK then (say 5/6 years from now, before the kids turn 18 ).

From your answer, I gather that there should not be any problem because the mother is a British citizen (she does not have to live in the UK to maintain the ILR) and because there is no residency requirement for either the children or the parents in section 1(3). Kindly confirm that I understand you correctly.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I have been reading all your posts. You are doing a great service to some of the most confused set of people (such as me).

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:47 pm

spbos wrote:From your answer, I gather that there should not be any problem because the mother is a British citizen (she does not have to live in the UK to maintain the ILR) and because there is no residency requirement for either the children or the parents in section 1(3). Kindly confirm that I understand you correctly.
Your understanding is correct.

spbos
Newly Registered

Post by spbos » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Many thanks, Jambo.

cheekyvirgin

Post by cheekyvirgin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:11 am

Jambo wrote:Yes.
Hi Jambo thanks for you message.

Could you please confirm again because my wife is in Pakistan with my kids and kids was born in the UK so you answer was i can apply for their registration inside the UK while they are in Pakistan.

Just asking cos i got wrong information on other forums.

Please advice.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:48 am

The law has changed in July 2012. I don't have personal experience and I haven't read any such case in the forum yet (I don't think there are many of them). But I don't see a reason this would be a problem. Instead of sending the application by post to the UK from Pakistan, you are sending it by post from within the UK (or using NCS). You just save the post cost. You still need to provide all the necessary documents. There are no residential requirements for UK born children so they don't need to be in the UK for the application.

What was the reason the other forum advised you against it?

cheekyvirgin

Post by cheekyvirgin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:38 pm

Jambo wrote:The law has changed in July 2012. I don't have personal experience and I haven't read any such case in the forum yet (I don't think there are many of them). But I don't see a reason this would be a problem. Instead of sending the application by post to the UK from Pakistan, you are sending it by post from within the UK (or using NCS). You just save the post cost. You still need to provide all the necessary documents. There are no residential requirements for UK born children so they don't need to be in the UK for the application.

What was the reason the other forum advised you against it?
One of solicitor advice they have to apply embassy in Pakistan but their consulate do not have much information despite it clearly says on their website that they have to send the application in the UK.

Only confusion is if i can apply here in the UK while they are abroad, I have all the documents ready other then the passport and UKBA say they will accept the photocopies as well because some country do not allow to send their passport outside the country.

liseoul
Newly Registered

Re: Child born in the uk but abroad ATM

Post by liseoul » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:14 pm

On which UK Home Office literature will I find information on registration entitlement for UK born children (under 13) who reside abroad and who have a parent who holds ILR? Many thanks.

kavin
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by kavin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Jambo wrote:
spbos wrote:From your answer, I gather that there should not be any problem because the mother is a British citizen (she does not have to live in the UK to maintain the ILR) and because there is no residency requirement for either the children or the parents in section 1(3). Kindly confirm that I understand you correctly.
Your understanding is correct.

Hi Jambo,
Let me thanks you first for your kindness to help.

I would like to know if rule still hold good as it as when you commented above on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:47 pm??

I have UK born kid and my ILR is due on March 2016.
He is planning to travel to india for next month and I will bring him back in my ILR depended.

Because residential status does not matter I was planning to apply for BC before he attends 18 years.
So does the Law still holds good??

In some forum I read there was some changes around 2013, similarly time when these post was clarified.
Does it still hold good incase of the residential status??

Thanks,
kavin