ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What if I quit my job after getting ILR from Tier 2?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MrBrilliant
BANNED

What if I quit my job after getting ILR from Tier 2?

Post by MrBrilliant » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:58 pm

I've been working on a Work Permit/Tier 2 (general) in the UK for the last 4.5 years. Which means in 6 months I qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

From reading the information on the Home Office website, apparently I need a letter from my employer stating that they continue to require my employment.

My question is this: I'm considering quitting my job shortly after receiving my ILR (in order to pursue my own interests, e.g. start my own business.) Is it possible for my employer to then contact the Home Office and tell them "Hey you know this guy that said still needed this job, well he just quit", subsequently resulting in my ILR to be withdrawn?

Thanks guys

Gagan1986

Re: What if I quit my job after getting ILR from Tier 2?

Post by Gagan1986 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:37 pm

MrBrilliant wrote:I've been working on a Work Permit/Tier 2 (general) in the UK for the last 4.5 years. Which means in 6 months I qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

From reading the information on the Home Office website, apparently I need a letter from my employer stating that they continue to require my employment.

My question is this: I'm considering quitting my job shortly after receiving my ILR (in order to pursue my own interests, e.g. start my own business.) Is it possible for my employer to then contact the Home Office and tell them "Hey you know this guy that said still needed this job, well he just quit", subsequently resulting in my ILR to be withdrawn?

Thanks guys
Wouldnt recommend quiting your job the same day when you will get your ILR approved. But after you have received your ILR you are not bound to work with your same employer, therefore you can quit and that wont affect your ILR. Wisest thing will be to continue working for 2/3 months and then quit, not that will affect anything in anyway but just for your piece of mind

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:31 pm

MrBrilliant wrote:I've been working on a Work Permit/Tier 2 (general) in the UK for the last 4.5 years. Which means in 6 months I qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Thanks guys
Once you quit your job the day you get ILR. If anything, that letter is saying that company still needs you.
You'll be within your rights to quit the job and start your own business or anything.
Goodluck.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:56 am

MrBrilliant wrote:...Is it possible for my employer to then contact the Home Office and tell them "Hey you know this guy that said still needed this job, well he just quit",...
When you apply for ILR under T2 or WP it is actually the employer who says they still need you, not the other way round.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

MrBrilliant
BANNED

Post by MrBrilliant » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:49 am

wpilr_nov12 wrote:
MrBrilliant wrote:...Is it possible for my employer to then contact the Home Office and tell them "Hey you know this guy that said still needed this job, well he just quit",...
When you apply for ILR under T2 or WP it is actually the employer who says they still need you, not the other way round.
Aha, so technically there is nothing wrong (as far as your immigration status is concerned) with quitting your job the day after you get ILR, is that right?

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:55 am

Just be careful not to jeopardise that very important employer letter for ILR application.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:58 pm

[iD] wrote:

Thanks guys
Once you quit your job the day you get ILR. If anything, that letter is saying that company still needs you.
You'll be within your rights to quit the job and start your own business or anything.
Hi there,
In general,under which circumstances ILR would be withdrawn?
Please advise