ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship based on Irish Association

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Citizenship based on Irish Association

Post by 110 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Hello Folks

I am a father of an Irish Citizen child, do you think I could apply for naturalization based on the citizenship of my child through Irish association ?

Was just going through the citizenship application form & found this note

** Section 16(2) of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956, as amended, defines being of Irish associations as meaning 'related by
blood,
affinity, adoption to, or is the civil partner of a person who is an Irish citizen'.***

any idea guys ?

Cheers

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 am

Yes you can once you have been living in Ireland for 3 years or more since your child acquired Irish citizenship.
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

Post by 110 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:42 am

IntegratedMigrant wrote:Yes you can once you have been living in Ireland for 3 years or more since your child acquired Irish citizenship.
Cheers IntegratedMigrant

I am wondering if anyone on this Forum has gone down this route and been successful with their application

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:22 am

110 wrote:Cheers IntegratedMigrant

I am wondering if anyone on this Forum has gone down this route and been successful with their application
If you have been living here for 5 years or more, then I'll advice you to apply based on 5 year residency. But if not, there is nothing wrong in applying based on Irish association.

I have seen few applied on that basis but I dont know the outcome of it. Again nothing should put you off in applying if you meet all the necessary requirements needed for applying.

People dont apply much on this basis bcos they dont even know it exists!. So many people think that Irish association is for people that have connections with white Irish
Last edited by IntegratedMigrant on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

Post by 110 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:33 pm

IntegratedMigrant wrote:
110 wrote:Cheers IntegratedMigrant

If you have been living here for 5 years or more, then I'll advice you to apply based on 5 year residency. But if not, there is nothing wrong in applying bases on Irish association.

I have seen few applied on that basis but I dont know the outcome of it. Again nothing should put you off in applying if you meet all the necessary requirements needed for applying.

People dont apply much on this basis bcos they dont even know it exists!. So many people think that Irish association is for people that have connections with white Irish
Thanks mate for sharing your thoughts.

Cheers

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:32 am

As far as i know the Minister's policy seems to be NOT to grant naturalisation on the basis of Irish Association - although you can certainly apply under the Act. You might just be wasting your money, that's all, as I doubt it will be granted.

Post by 110 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 pm

ImmigrationLawyer wrote:As far as i know the Minister's policy seems to be NOT to grant naturalisation on the basis of Irish Association - although you can certainly apply under the Act. You might just be wasting your money, that's all, as I doubt it will be granted.
Thanks ImmigrationLawyer,

Do you know of any previous cases based Irish Association not being granted ? Just wondering what makes you believe that the policy is NOT to grant..

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:09 am

Yes, I know many where it was not granted, and I have never seen a case where it was granted.

Post by 110 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:53 pm

ImmigrationLawyer wrote:Yes, I know many where it was not granted, and I have never seen a case where it was granted.
I see, thanks for the insight. Sad...but what can you do..

iloveireland

Post by iloveireland » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:58 am

110 wrote:
ImmigrationLawyer wrote:Yes, I know many where it was not granted, and I have never seen a case where it was granted.
I see, thanks for the insight. Sad...but what can you do..
Hi 110, If 175 Euros is not much for you and you can spend 1-2 days for gathering all docs then I encourage to go for it. It is worth a go.
Even if you get rejected, you can still apply for citizenship after your 5 years in the country.
Good luck