ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling without BRP

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

papu.sarkari
Newly Registered

Travelling without BRP

Post by papu.sarkari » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I have finally received Tier 1 extension on 2nd January. I had asked to expedite my case on medical grounds. However, its been 4 working days and I havent received my BRP yet. I understand that it can take up to 10 working days for BRP to come but I dont have time to wait for it.

I am travelling to India this Thursday. I am hoping that I receive my BRP by then. In worst case scenario, If I dont recieve my BRP by Thursday, I can ask my flatmate to pick up my BRP on my behalf as it is going to come to same address. He is travelling 2 weeks after so there is enough time for them to deliver and picked up.

1. Can I travel without BRP to India? Hopefully I will get it in India via my friend.

2. Is there any trouble at India airport If I dont have my BRP.

Regards,

Papu.

sts96508
Member of Standing

Post by sts96508 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:07 pm

your flatmate can't 'pick up' your BRP. you have to sign for it after showing ID. thats if the courier person follows the rules, and 9 times out of 10 they do.

if you want stress free travel to India and back then don't leave without the BRP. its unknown territory and most likely illegal.

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:42 pm

sts96508 wrote:your flatmate can't 'pick up' your BRP. you have to sign for it after showing ID. thats if the courier person follows the rules, and 9 times out of 10 they do.

if you want stress free travel to India and back then don't leave without the BRP. its unknown territory and most likely illegal.
that is not true, anyone at the given address can pickup the BRP upon showing an ID such as a debit/credit card or driving license with the person's name on it

there is risk involved in leaving UK without the BRP but if you know what you are doing & know that everything will go according to plan then do it, its your call

as far as I know, Indian immigration authorities ask for your UK residence permit and also upon leaving UK they glance through your BRP at Heathrow
Manka

papu.sarkari
Newly Registered

Post by papu.sarkari » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks guys,

I have done some background discussion and reading. Here is my thoughts on this. I am leaving tomorrow evening. I will post my final situation once I go through this.

1. I had got my last BRP delivered to my office. The BRP was picked up by reception and no ID was asked. This is after I requested the PEO to change the address at the last moment after I was given the approval letter.

But this was last time. This time it is suppose to come at my house.
Please see this on DX Secure website (http://www.thedx.co.uk/customerservice/ ... vice-faqs/) :
Can someone else receive or sign a delivery for me?
You can choose any responsible person to receive or sign for a delivery on your behalf. This person must produce evidence of YOUR identity; for example your passport, driving licence, bank card or in some cases a utility bill if requested. So clearly this the guidance on there website and I have talked with there customer service as well.

So I do not think they will not deliver to some other person.

2. Imagine that my extension was rejected and I decide to leave this country. In that case, What BRP will I have? I have talked with Heathrow immigration, UKBA and both have confirmed that when I am leaving they are not bothered if I have any valid visa or not. And I am already travelling with my approval letter and passport.

3. I have talked with Mumbai Immigration and also emailed them about the same. There reply was as long as I have my valid Indian Passport, they are not bothered If I have any valid visa/BRP or not.

Thanks very much for your replies.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 am

In terms of what you posted, it will probably be ok - it doesn't sound like the absolute worst idea, but just be wary of some things:

1. Nobody at Heathrow will care if you have LTR here or not when you leave the country. Generally the only checks are to check that you are the named passenger on the ticket (using your passport) and checks by your airline (or designated ground handling partner) to ensure that you have permission to go to your destination. So no issues there.
2. Having your friend travel with (not on, I know) your BRP is another matter altogether. He might pick up some issues with this, and I believe this is potentially where the biggest risk lies.
3. Coming back to the UK, just make sure you have your approval letter on you. There are procedures to get people in without their BRP's, but just take the letter any way. It is unlikely than an airline will carry you without the actual BRP, but we are talking about a very small possibility of even getting to the point of trying to re-enter the UK if my understanding is correct.

There is some risk in what you are doing, but I don't think it's high.

Good luck and hope it all works out!

papu.sarkari
Newly Registered

Post by papu.sarkari » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:27 am

Hi,

I agree that there is an element of Risk. I believe that once the BRP is picked up by my friend, there should not be any further risk. He is travelling to India after 3 weeks so there is ample of time to get it. As a proof of identity, I am handing over one of my debit cards as they may asked for it. I have confirmed with DX Secure that if any person having my debit card and a photocopy of my passport will be able to get my BRP at the delivery address.

Another worst case scenario is that, I can go to British High Commission in India and say that I have lost my BRP and ask for them to re-issue it. I have read it in this forum itself and that is the last option.

By the way, I have already travelled to Milan for 3 days with my approval letter only 2 years ago. I was allowed go and come back. When I entered UK, they put me in a room where they investigated (took around 40 mins) and came back and said its all okay.

I do not intend to take that risk but, this is all worst case scenario planning.

I still have hope that I may get my BRP. I am leaving tomorrow night. The BRP delivery email has sent me a confirmation that they have produced and sent the BRP. However, DX secure currently do not have any info on this.