ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DUI Conviction in the US

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shridharmeister
Newly Registered

DUI Conviction in the US

Post by shridharmeister » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:52 pm

Hi all,

I was a student on F1 visa in the U.S. and was convicted of DUI. I met all the requirements from court, and recently I also got a 10 yr B1/B2 visa. I was thinking my DUI conviction would render me inadmissible to the U.S., however, that wasn't the case. I guess, I was lucky. They took my fingerprints at the US Embassy, and after getting a clearance granted me a visa. Actually, I am in the U.S. for a month, and I didn't encounter any issues at the immigration port as well.

However, I was now planning on apply for a Grad School in Canada, and after completion of my studies was planning on Working there, as I have a few companies who are interested in hiring me because I have done some work for them in the past. My only concern is, would I be able to enter Canada although I have a previous DUI conviction in the US ?

I was doing some research, and found that some blog posts indicated that if you have a prior DUI conviction in the US then you are rendered inadmissible in Canada, and cannot apply for any other benefits i.e. permanent residency, citizenship, etc.

I have a good career scope in Canada, and a lot of oppurtunity for me. Please advise me, if my prior DUI will cause any issues for me in the Canada.

I will really appreciate your inputs.

Thank you in advance.

Shridharmeister

Saykocan
Newly Registered

Post by Saykocan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:11 am

DUI/DWI is taken very seriously by Canadians. There may be ways to get pardoned or "rehabilitated" from inadmissibility, but those are usually way too detailed and context-specific to be handled on a forum like this.

Now, applying for permanent residency with a good reason is one thing, applying for graduate school is another. Chances are, it would be possible through a nerve-wrecking process to obtain permanent residency, if your "hand is good". Getting a student visa sounds a little more complicated in your case. Your best bet is to talk to a Canadian immigration lawyer.

NJT
Newly Registered

Post by NJT » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:54 am

Being a Canadian myself, I wouldn't think that a DUI in America would effect your VISA for Canada. It is reason for them to refuse you, but I would think more serious offences like, drugs,rape,guns crimes would be more of a worry.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:33 pm

What is DUI
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:27 pm

Driving Under Influence (Influence of Alcohol, drugs etc)
Praise The Lord!!!!

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:51 pm

tanx Jes2jes
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

newuser
Newly Registered

Post by newuser » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:46 am

i think they dont allow DUI people to entry....depends on Immigration Canada at port of entry.

i know they usually stop US nationals from entry....if convicted under DUI

AlexZello
Newly Registered

Post by AlexZello » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:58 pm

Actually, "an eye for an eye" principle is commonly misunderstood. Jewish rabbis always understood it as a doctrine
of just compensation. Obadiah Shoher analyzes the Biblical text to prove beyond doubt that "an eye for an eye" punishment
only applies to those who harmed pregnant women. Read here http://samsonblinded.org/blog/an-eye-fo ... ctrine.htm

Immigration_facts
BANNED

Post by Immigration_facts » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:46 am

Hi there,

Good discussion.

For further information, visit:

Good luck.

oldmedic
Newly Registered

Post by oldmedic » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:22 pm

I have a good friend who married a Canadian woman, and moved to Canada with her when he retired. He is barred from getting a permanent residency visa, because of 2 DUI's he got in the early 1960's ( over 40 years ago).

The Canadian government considers DUI's as a bar to residency and to eventual citizenship.

One must go through a very tedious process of "rehabilitation" under the law, before they are no longer considered a bar.

hellovancouver
Newly Registered

DUI conviction in UK

Post by hellovancouver » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:30 pm

Hello, I have been reading these posts with interest. My common-law partner is going to be on my application for perm residency, and in 1997 he had a conviction disqualifying him for 12 months and a £250 fine within the UK.

I am going to contact DVLA (where you register your vehicle) regarding this, however I have 2 questions:

1/ Will Canadian Immigration frown on this and thus reject our PR application?

2/ Is there a certain time period where it is considered not a problem ie. 10 years has passed?

3/ Do their checks show up things like this? How far do their checks go?

Maxies
Newly Registered

Post by Maxies » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:40 am

For everyone, I confirm that DUI is serious offense in Canada and people get barred from entry if Immigration officers find out. If you don't tell the truth, you get banned for ever.

If possible to get rehabilitation (long process) from Immigration authorities if that happenned more than 5 years ago. It may cost up to $1000. At the end, you may still be denied entrance.

If the offense is shown on the police certificate, the person may inadmissible in Canada for a PR for ever. Immigrations officers can ckeck as far as they want ( up 100 years if they wish). In any case, it's better to tell the truth. Otherwise, if Immigration officers find out themselves, your partner may be expelled from Canada, and even bar entry for ever.