ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual citizenship

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

oncewas
Newly Registered

Dual citizenship

Post by oncewas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 am

hie i want to know if i can apply for renewal of ILR when i hold a british passport, this is because my country zimbabwe dont allow dual and have strong penalties if they find out. i however dont want to give up my zimbabwean citizenship so when i travel home i use the zim passport and leave the british one but obviousy after the ILR expires i cant use it to come back from zimbabwe

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:38 am

Apply for a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode instead of a British passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

oncewas
Newly Registered

Post by oncewas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 am

thak you

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 am

The OP has a valid British passport I take it therefore a certificate is unlikely to be issued as a British Passport is proof of right to abode. What you should have done is applied for certificate before getting the British Passport as certificate doesn't expire. You'll have to likely wait until your passport expires.

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:12 pm

Technically, if Zimbabwe does not allow dual citizenship, the moment you become a British citizen you automatically lose your Zimbabwe citizenship, not whether you have a British passport or not. A quick Googling shows that you have 1 year to renounce your British citizenship before you lose your Zimbawe citizenship.

Whether they know it, that's a different matter, but note that travelling with your Zimbabwean passport means that you are travelling with an invalid passport.