ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

28 days rule for ILR and Naturalisation

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

click
Newly Registered

28 days rule for ILR and Naturalisation

Post by click » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi,

I'm about to apply for ILR soon. I've 2 questions.

1 - My Spouse visa will expire on 16 April. What's the earliest date I can apply for ILR following the 28 days rule.

2- I've been living in UK since June 2006. Then April 2011 I switched to Spouse visa. Can I apply for Naturalisation soon after getting ILR or will I have to wait for a year to apply for Naturalisation (as via Spouse visa route you've to be in country for 3 years but in my case I've been here much longer)

Would you please advice me on above 2 questions.

Many Thanks for help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:39 pm

1. count back 28 days from 16th April - that is the earliest you can apply

2. Yes, if you have been in the UK since 2006, any legal residence can count towards the 3 years to qualify for spouse of BC naturalisation applications. So you will be ok to apply once your ILR is approved. Make sure you are within the limits of absence for 3 years (270 days) and the last 12 months (90 days) and meet all the other standard requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

click
Newly Registered

Post by click » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks for reply. I really appreciate.

I'm just confuse how should I count 28 days I mean my visa expires on 16th april so should 16th april include in 28 days or not. If I don't include it then I can book appointment on 19th March otherwise I should go for 20th March.

Any idea how do they count days? Thanks

navodwickra

Post by navodwickra » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 am

click wrote:Thanks for reply. I really appreciate.

I'm just confuse how should I count 28 days I mean my visa expires on 16th april so should 16th april include in 28 days or not. If I don't include it then I can book appointment on 19th March otherwise I should go for 20th March.

Any idea how do they count days? Thanks
If your spouse is a British National then you can apply for citizenship after getting ILR if not you have to wait 12 months after getting ILR.

aosun007

Post by aosun007 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:04 pm

use this link

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html

insert the expiry date of your leave to remain on the condition that you got Leave to remain inside UK and click subtract 28 days using the same link

Then that is it.
Then based on information u provided you can apply for citizenship immediately you get your ILR.No need to wait.Congrats in Advance

click
Newly Registered

Post by click » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi, Thanks for all the replies.

Yes she is british national.

How accurate is this calculator? As it shows me earliest date 19 March 2013. My visa expires on 16 April 2013.

Would you please advice me, Can I go ahead booking 19 March then. I hope there won't be any problem booking 19 March. I'm just looking forward to it.

Thanks Indeed !!