ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in UK test - Test center manager advice

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shin25

Life in UK test - Test center manager advice

Post by shin25 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:28 pm

Hello All,

I missed my life in UK test last week due to reaching late (weather was not overly good and reached their old center which was not very evident).
Couple of questions:
1] The test manager in the Life in Uk test seemed to suggest me that I should book my test early as new verison would be coming next month. Is his information correct? I tried searching on the net and I did not get any information about a new version being released.
2] Has any one before can share their experiences if they could get their test fees reimbursed due to any unavoidable circumstances if they werent able to attend?

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Re: Life in UK test - Test center manager advice

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm

shin25 wrote:Hello All,

I missed my life in UK test last week due to reaching late (weather was not overly good and reached their old center which was not very evident).
Couple of questions:
1] The test manager in the Life in Uk test seemed to suggest me that I should book my test early as new verison would be coming next month. Is his information correct? I tried searching on the net and I did not get any information about a new version being released.
2] Has any one before can share their experiences if they could get their test fees reimbursed due to any unavoidable circumstances if they werent able to attend?
2. It would be difficult to claim refund for your reasons (weather and location). It would be the candidate's responsibility to manage on both situations.

1. Unless/until there is a formal announcement from UKBA, the test center manager's comment holds no value.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

hsmp1412
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp1412 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:32 pm

I just took my LIUK test in the Maidenhead centre on 18/01. This was the same day when the weather was at its worst and there was heavy snow in all of South East.

I must say that the test managers were really understanding and considerate. Two people arrived half an hour late for the test due to the weather (I assume) and even they were allowed to take the test. They went around the whole library (that's where the centre is housed) looking for LIUK candidates multiple times to ensure no one missed their test. They also confirmed that if any one missed their test on the 18th, they could get a refund or could reschedule free of charge. A couple of people had turned up without the right ID (even though it is very clearly stated on their test confirmation email) and the lady took a lot of time to make them understand why they couldn't take the test and in the end even gave them a complaints form to use if they were not satisfied.

My experience was quite the opposite of what I read on the forum (about people not allowed to take the test if they were only 2 mins before the test rather than 5 mins and so on). It probably depends on the center and it could also be due to the fact that the weather was exceptionally bad.

Sharing this as most of the LIUK test reviews I read were negative and some times it's good to read something positive!

shin25

Post by shin25 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:22 pm

hsmp1412 wrote:I just took my LIUK test in the Maidenhead centre on 18/01. This was the same day when the weather was at its worst and there was heavy snow in all of South East.

I must say that the test managers were really understanding and considerate. Two people arrived half an hour late for the test due to the weather (I assume) and even they were allowed to take the test. They went around the whole library (that's where the centre is housed) looking for LIUK candidates multiple times to ensure no one missed their test. They also confirmed that if any one missed their test on the 18th, they could get a refund or could reschedule free of charge. A couple of people had turned up without the right ID (even though it is very clearly stated on their test confirmation email) and the lady took a lot of time to make them understand why they couldn't take the test and in the end even gave them a complaints form to use if they were not satisfied.

My experience was quite the opposite of what I read on the forum (about people not allowed to take the test if they were only 2 mins before the test rather than 5 mins and so on). It probably depends on the center and it could also be due to the fact that the weather was exceptionally bad.

Sharing this as most of the LIUK test reviews I read were negative and some times it's good to read something positive!
Hi HSMP1412,

Your replies are really very encouraging. I am not sure why my test manager was not at all supportive. In fact he advised me that it is computerized and even if he wanted to he could not reschedule or for that matter even think of a refund. Today I called up Life in UK contact center and they have asked me to write to them. I am a bit pessimistic about it though. Could I please ask how your test managers were able to schedule, was that just by calling them up or writing to them. Do you have any contact number which could be helpful?

Regards,

Gagan1986

Post by Gagan1986 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Think it's totally upto the test centre managers. Some are nice while some aren't. Defo suggest you write to them as something positive should come out of it. Can be very time consuming, not worth it if u r applying for ILR soon. Good Luck

genuflexion

Post by genuflexion » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:33 am

Hi there,

I booked my life in the UK test online for next week and bought the actual book from the test centre itself.

The test centre manager did mention to me about the new edition coming through by the end of this month.

However, UKBA site doesn't say anything along these lines.

It seems the test centre manager was very inconsiderate, I'd advise to contest this in writing.

Good Luck!
gen

hsmp1412
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp1412 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:27 pm

[quote="shin25"][quote="hsmp1412"]I just took my LIUK test in the Maidenhead centre on 18/01. This was the same day when the weather was at its worst and there was heavy snow in all of South East.

Sharing this as most of the LIUK test reviews I read were negative and some times it's good to read something positive![/quote]

Hi HSMP1412,

Your replies are really very encouraging. I am not sure why my test manager was not at all supportive. In fact he advised me that it is computerized and even if he wanted to he could not reschedule or for that matter even think of a refund. Today I called up Life in UK contact center and they have asked me to write to them. I am a bit pessimistic about it though. Could I please ask how your test managers were able to schedule, was that just by calling them up or writing to them. Do you have any contact number which could be helpful?

Regards,[/quote]

Hi,

The refund was not issued or approved by the test manager at all. They did not have any control on it. They merely advised that refunds would be issued to anyone who couldn't make it that day due to the weather. I guess if the LIUK organising body (wahtever that is) decides they will not issue refunds there is nothing much that the test managers can do.

They did say they can not schedule a test themselves and there is an added complexity that they can start tests for all candidates only in a certain window of time (mine was 2pm to 3pm) because it is computerized. They will not be able to start the test for some candidates earlier (e.g. 1:45).

What I was trying to say in my earlier post was that it seemed the test managers tried to do as much as they could to help the candidates. Hope that clarifies things a bit.