ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Refused due to absences and appeal

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Prayas
Newly Registered

ILR Refused due to absences and appeal

Post by Prayas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi
I applied for ILR (2 yrs work permit + 3 yrs Tier 1) but refused because of long absences. When I was under work permit, I had to stay overseas and spent about 300 days outwith UK in the first year. I applied ILR in june 2012 and got the refusal decision recently in December 2012.

I decided to go for an appeal. But I would like to be clear about two things:
1) Since there have been changes in rules for absences in December 2012, which rule does apply in my case as I applied in July 2013? Old or new rules?

2) If they can use old rules, can't they apply discretion in my case as the absences were entirely for business?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Prayas

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:41 pm

You can apply again citing the new guidance and perhaps you could even appeal on that basis aslo. However, 300 days absences in one year is still outside the scope of the new guidance, so that is not something you will be able to overcome.

Prayas
Newly Registered

Post by Prayas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks for the response.

Yes I think the new guidline also doesnt overcome my problem. Instead, my point is, I applied when old rules were in force where they can exercise discretion - so can i appeal to apply old rules and use the discretion?

Prayad

Ilr180

Post by Ilr180 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi Prayas

I am in a similar situation althought I haven't applied yet. I completed all the documents and paperwork from the company for my long absences due to work but couldn't apply due to new rules.

I also asked the gurus here for their opinion:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

Don't really know what to do.

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

It's probably easier to extend your Tier 1 (G) one last time and apply when next year when the 300 days away from UK no longer in your 5 years qualifying period.

There's nothing stopping you to perpetually extend Tier 1 (G) if you want to.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Prayas wrote:Thanks for the response.

Yes I think the new guidline also doesnt overcome my problem. Instead, my point is, I applied when old rules were in force where they can exercise discretion - so can i appeal to apply old rules and use the discretion?

Prayad
Even under the old rules, this number of days was excessive (it's a month and a half short of a year!!). You are unlikely to succeed.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.