ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of residency question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

arirang
Newly Registered

Proof of residency question

Post by arirang » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi,

I am a EU national and have lived in UK since 2004. I would like to apply for British Citizenship, however I am unsure as to whether I'd be able to provide sufficient proof of me fulfilling the residency requirements. I've had a few jobs since my family moved here, for a total of maybe 3 years in this period, but majority of time that I spent here I was studying from home while taking care of my grandparents. I can provide my bank statements, mobile phone bills, and other miscellaneous things like medical cards etc; I 'think' I've on the electoral roll for at least a few years as well, but that's probably about it.

Would this be enough to support my application? If this is relevant, at the time of writing I am a full-time student and volunteer as a teaching assistant; I am fluent in English and would have no problem passing the life in the UK test etc. My family members will likely apply for citizenship as well, and they've been in full-time employment for at least 5 consecutive years so they'd have no problem with the residency requirement. (family members as in siblings / parents).

Thanks in advance,
A

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: Proof of residency question

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:59 pm

arirang wrote:I am a EU national and have lived in UK since 2004. I would like to apply for British Citizenship, however I am unsure as to whether I'd be able to provide sufficient proof of me fulfilling the residency requirements. I've had a few jobs since my family moved here, for a total of maybe 3 years in this period, but majority of time that I spent here I was studying from home while taking care of my grandparents. I can provide my bank statements, mobile phone bills, and other miscellaneous things like medical cards etc; I 'think' I've on the electoral roll for at least a few years as well, but that's probably about it.
Under EU regulations, you must prove that you have exercised EU treaty rights continuously for 5 years (i.e. 2004-2009, or 2007-2012, or any continuous 5 year period in between) and remained in the UK afterwards for at least another year (not necessarily exercising EU treaty rights). In your situation, the first will probably be very hard to prove. When you say you studied from home - have you been formally enrolled on any course? If so, you need a letter from the university/college to confirm that. You also need comprehensive sickness insurance (NHS and British EHIC do not count). If you cannot get those two types of documents (covering the entire period you have not been working), HO will not accept this time as counting towards your permanent residency - ergo an application for British citizenship would fail.