ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizen Requirement - Qualifying Period

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tkk2011
Newly Registered

Citizen Requirement - Qualifying Period

Post by tkk2011 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Hello,

I came to UK on 16 Sept 2007. I got my ILR in Aug 2012.

My question is Whether it is compulsary to wait for 1 Year (i.e. Upto Aug 2013) for applying for UK citizenship.

Because When I was looking at residential requirments for naturalization, it just said that one has to be resident in UK for period of 5 Years. So if I am applying in Feb 2013, I have to be in the country (UK) in Feb 2008.

So Just wanted to understand is spending 1 Year a compulsary requirement. Have I missed something on the UKBA website.

Kindly reply and oblige.

Best Regards
Tushar Kansara

skymoon

Re: Citizen Requirement - Qualifying Period

Post by skymoon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:52 pm

tkk2011 wrote:Hello,

I came to UK on 16 Sept 2007. I got my ILR in Aug 2012.

My question is Whether it is compulsary to wait for 1 Year (i.e. Upto Aug 2013) for applying for UK citizenship.

Because When I was looking at residential requirments for naturalization, it just said that one has to be resident in UK for period of 5 Years. So if I am applying in Feb 2013, I have to be in the country (UK) in Feb 2008.

So Just wanted to understand is spending 1 Year a compulsary requirement. Have I missed something on the UKBA website.

Kindly reply and oblige.

Best Regards
Tushar Kansara

You have to wait for 1 year after ILR i.e Aug 2013. You should be free from immigration control for 1 year before your BC application. If you are married to BC then it will not apply.