ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR cohabitation issue

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

xyz111
BANNED

ILR cohabitation issue

Post by xyz111 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 am

Hi,

I am wondering if someone could advise on issue of cohabitation.

I am Tier 1 G) and brought my wife in February 2011 and our ILR is due in June this year.

We have plenty of letters to prove our cohabitation for years 2012 and 2013 but only have 1.No. Deposit Protection Scheme letter and 1 No. NHS letter for 2011 to prove our cohabitation for that year.

How should we go about this?

Thanks.

uksettlement
India

Post by uksettlement » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:28 pm

You don't need letters for every month in the 2 years.

Best practice is to have letters spread out for the two year period.

I would suggest atleast 3 different sources and approx ten docs covering the entire period of 2 years so you should be fine.
Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am no immigration lawyer nor am I OISC qualified. Suggestions given by me are based on personal experience of dealing with UKBA. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.

BE HAPPY
Newly Registered

Re: ILR cohabitation issue

Post by BE HAPPY » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:36 pm

[quote="xyz111"]Hi,

I am wondering if someone could advise on issue of cohabitation.

I am Tier 1 G) and brought my wife in February 2011 and our ILR is due in June this year.

We have plenty of letters to prove our cohabitation for years 2012 and 2013 but only have 1.No. Deposit Protection Scheme letter and 1 No. NHS letter for 2011 to prove our cohabitation for that year.

How should we go about this?

Thanks.[/q

if you and your wife are registered in electoral list then give call to office and ask for a letter stating that both of you are registered for the requisiste duration. But if you change your residence quite often then this may not be useful to show co-hab at a strech in one letter.

xyz111
BANNED

Post by xyz111 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:58 pm

uksettlement wrote:You don't need letters for every month in the 2 years.

I would suggest atleast 3 different sources and approx ten docs covering the entire period of 2 years so you should be fine.
That's where the problem is! Only a couple of letters for year 2011!!!

Thanks.

xyz111
BANNED

Post by xyz111 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:20 pm

xyz111 wrote:

That's where the problem is! Only a couple of letters for year 2011!!!

Thanks.
Anyone!

leoinuk
Newly Registered

Post by leoinuk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 pm

HI uksettlement,
10 docs for each person, isn't it, could you confirm please?
Thanks.
Leo

xyz111
BANNED

Post by xyz111 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Please suggest what to do if only 2 no. docs available for one of the two years?!!

Thanks.

genuflexion

Post by genuflexion » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:45 am

Letters from friends, landlord, council, GP, Dentist, Home office approval letters ....anything will do
gen

uksettlement
India

Post by uksettlement » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:52 am

[quote="leoinuk"
HI uksettlement,
10 docs for each person, isn't it, could you confirm please?
Thanks.
Leo[/quote]

10 is an approx number, also the more docs you have in joint names the better it is.

Also the docs mentioned by genuflexion minus the letter from friend would do.
Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am no immigration lawyer nor am I OISC qualified. Suggestions given by me are based on personal experience of dealing with UKBA. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.

genuflexion

Post by genuflexion » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:57 am

Hi uksettlement,

I don't have ten different documents, I am also applying for ILR on Monday (PEO).

What I have is the following for cohab;

- Wife's bank statements from Mar'12 to date
- GP Letter for my wife confirming 2008 to date registration.
- Denist letter for my wife confirming 2010 to date
- Landlord letter confirming our cohabitation and tenancy since 2008 to date
- Besides, Home office approval letter for 2009 and 2012 (as I'd second extension because of arriving late)

Will this be enough to prove cohab?

I am confused about 10 documents, please clarify.

Thanks for your help in advance.
gen

uksettlement
India

Post by uksettlement » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:09 am

I said approx 10 and also I said just 3 different sources. From your list it seems you have a lot more than 10.
Thanks!

genuflexion

Post by genuflexion » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks for your help and clarification.
gen

tashfeen
Newly Registered

Post by tashfeen » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi,

Rule of thumb for ILR: follow the KISS principal - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

For proof of cohab, they requirements are exactly the same as mentioned in Set(M). Its not 10 but only 6. Please stop misguiding and confusing people. This is a common problem with most of us to over-do things and present documents which are not required at all.

uksettlement
India

Post by uksettlement » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 pm

tashfeen wrote:Hi,

Rule of thumb for ILR: follow the KISS principal - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

For proof of cohab, they requirements are exactly the same as mentioned in Set(M). Its not 10 but only 6. Please stop misguiding and confusing people. This is a common problem with most of us to over-do things and present documents which are not required at all.
Hey dude...you have not contributed enough to comment in that manner. Also, as I have inferred from my earlier posts we need 3 different sources and about 10 as there is no guidance on what is needed for set o.
Thanks!

tashfeen
Newly Registered

Post by tashfeen » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi uksettlement

Just because I didn't contribute doesn't mean I can't comment!

Let's not take it personal and help the guy who asked for it.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... les/part5/

The above link shows you exactly the documents you need to present for both the main applicant as well as your dependants including proof of cohab.

While I was sat for my ILR, there was a Sri Lankan couple who were asked to provide more proof of cohab for their ILR - they'd provided only 2 but even that had few problems. Their caseworker said and I quote, "you need to present 6 types of documents. The list of documents is mentioned in Form Set(M). It should cover last 24 months but not necessarily every month of the last two years. Send me the documents, I'll review and you'll get the decision in post"

I say based on what I heard from a caseworker aided by senior caseworker at Liverpool PEO.

genuflexion

Post by genuflexion » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi Tashfeen,

Thanks for your concern.

I agree with uksettlement, we know you mean well but there is a better/gentler way of expressing yourself and opinion.

Its ok to disagree with someone and its perfectly ok to contest in a healthy manner with supporting evidences.

Welcome to this forum.
gen

tashfeen
Newly Registered

Post by tashfeen » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi genuflexion - cheers buddy!

I don't think I disrespected anyone. All I said was not to confuse people and try making it simple. When I was applying for my ILR, from my personal experience I know how confusing and difficult it becomes to sorting out your documents. Whereas some members are very helpful other are not!

genuflexion

Post by genuflexion » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:14 pm

I read somewhere on this forum that SET(O) does not have strict requirement of cohab docs as opposed to SET(M).

I mean few docs usually suffice and I think when SET(O) guidance says refer to SET(M) for cohab, they actually mean to see type of documents accepted.

It does not say anywhere on the application that they need 6 different sources.

Whereas, SET(M) clearly indicates we need 6 different sources on the form itself.

I would rather be safe than sorry. Just a quick question, can I take the birth certificates of ukborn children that are not applying with me?

Will CW consider this?

Thanks very much in advance.
gen

uksettlement
India

Post by uksettlement » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:17 pm

genuflexion wrote:I read somewhere on this forum that SET(O) does not have strict requirement of cohab docs as opposed to SET(M).

I mean few docs usually suffice and I think when SET(O) guidance says refer to SET(M) for cohab, they actually mean to see type of documents accepted.

It does not say anywhere on the application that they need 6 different sources.

Whereas, SET(M) clearly indicates we need 6 different sources on the form itself.

I would rather be safe than sorry. Just a quick question, can I take the birth certificates of ukborn children that are not applying with me?

Will CW consider this?

Thanks very much in advance.
No need to take the birth certificate if your son isn't applying. I mean I don't see the need for it however, some other might want to comment on it!
Thanks!

tashfeen
Newly Registered

Post by tashfeen » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi Gen,

Spot on wrt to the requirements.

Re: the Birth Certificates, this is exactly what did. I have three kids and I took their detailed birth certificates. It:

a- is an official letter
b- has your address
c- has your wife's name
d- is signed by an official (although signature is not a requirement)

tashfeen
Newly Registered

Post by tashfeen » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:19 pm

sorry, should've mentioned, the CW will consider it as a "proof of cohab"

genuflexion

Post by genuflexion » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi both,

Thanks very much for your help.

Docs under Joint Name(s);

- Poll cards for May 2012 registration but a photocopy of Poll card for June 2009.
- Landlord's letter confirming we are living together since 2008 and paying rent incl bills.
- Birth certificates for birth in May 2012 and Aug 2009 (original supplementary 2009 certificate that shows both parent names is lost but I have a copy and the original main BC).

Docs under Wife's Name;

- Banks Statements from Mar'12 till Jan'13
- Dentist letter confirming her registration since 2010
- GP letter confirming her registration since 2008
- 1 prescription dated Dec'11

Docs under My name;

- Well I have 5 years bank statements
- TV License for past 2 years
- Past 3/4yrs payslips and P60
- Original Tenancy Agreement for 2008 (xpired but it shortterm tenancy so its renewable).
- Old employment offer letters/contracts
- NHS card

Question;

Please make my life easy and tell me amongst above list which docs shall I submit to the CW when he/she asks to dump all docs to her desk.

Thanks in advance guys, sorry I am a bit shaky for tomorrow.
gen

tashfeen
Newly Registered

Post by tashfeen » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi Gen,

I believe it is more than enough. Based on my personal experience and what I've read on the forum they'll never ask you to dump your docs. They'll ask you for proofs one by one. The best approach, that I adopted was, to ask them.

For your proof of cohab, they are not interested in you but your dependent. So, only show them the document showing your wife living at that address. For your wife's bank statement there is no need to hand-over 12 months instead ask the caseworker for how long he/she want it for.

I'd suggest make a set in the following order:

1- Bank statement from Mar - Apr 12
2- Dentist Letter
3- Prescription
4- Landlord Letter
5- Birth Certificates
6- Poll Card

Keep the rest of your documents as a back up. Hope it helps.

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Evidence of cohabitation
First off,uksettlement thanks for your contribution
For ILR you will need to provide at least 6 documents addressed to both you and your partner at the same address, evenly spaced over the 2 years (6 if jointly addressed, or 12 documents if separately addressed). These documents must be from at least 3 different sources (i.e. bank statements, tenancy agreements, council tax, utility bills, NHS letters, letters from HMRC etc.)
Examples of acceptable types of letters and documents;
*telephone bills or statements
*mortgage statements/agreement
*bank statements/letters
*council tax bills or statements
*water rates bills or statements
*electricity and/or gas bills or statements
*tenancy agreement(s)
*building society savings books/letters
*letters or other documents from government departments or agencies, for example HM Revenue and Customs, Dept for Work and Pensions, DVLA and TV Licensing
*letters or other documents from your GP, a hospital or other local health service about medical treatments, appointments,home visits or other medical matters