ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

american asylum

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amzad
Newly Registered

american asylum

Post by amzad » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:31 am

can a left wing american apply for asylum in the eu? since usa is extremely right wing and has strong capitalist and religious (christian) beliefs. the left wing person may also strongly disagree with usa's practise of the death penalty, iraqi war, and anti-abortion. can a left wing person say, i cant live in the u.s. because this goes against my beliefs and i dont feel i can live comfortably here without getting my mule kicked for expressing my beliefs in (basic left wing beliefs) anti-globalisation; atheism; pro-choice; anti-war; anti-death penalty; anti-homosexuality.

JAJ
Australia

Re: american asylum

Post by JAJ » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:34 am

amzad wrote:can a left wing american apply for asylum in the eu?
No you can't. Best you can probably do is find somewhere in the U.S. that's closer to your outlook - eg San Francisco or Vermont?

Of course, depending on your skill profile you might have options to migrate on economic grounds. Canada and New Zealand might also be options. But migrating because of the political outlook of a particular government is a risky thing to do - these things can and do change and repeat migration is an expensive process.

Saykocan
Newly Registered

Post by Saykocan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:04 am

It's really hard to apply for asylum and get accepted with an American passport. The only logical (or partly logical) solution I can think of for you is go to Cuba or Venezuela and tell them about the vice of the US government. They're practically enemies, so they could well be a sucker for such an attitude. Once you obtain a Latin American passport (except for a Brazilian one), it's possible to get a Spanish one in 2 years if you make the right moves.

And if you can't find a way out no matter what, there is always falling in love all of a sudden, if you know what I mean..

outofhere
Newly Registered

Post by outofhere » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:50 pm

Has anyone got experience of applying for asylum and get accepted with an American passport? Or experience of not having been accepted anywhere?

I have heard it’s really hard and especially Canada turns people back or puts them into jail.

It would be really important for me to know.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:03 pm

outofhere wrote:Has anyone got experience of applying for asylum and get accepted with an American passport? Or experience of not having been accepted anywhere?

I have heard it’s really hard and especially Canada turns people back or puts them into jail.

It would be really important for me to know.
The very idea of an American citizen applying for asylum anywhere in the world is just plain ridiculous. No government anywhere in the world would seriously entertain the notion that an American citizen would require political asylum.

You might not agree with the current American government, but the American government does not (yet) persecute people for their political or religious beliefs.

If you really want asylum then try Cuba, I'm sure Fidel will be more than sympathetic to your cause.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

outofhere
Newly Registered

Post by outofhere » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:48 pm

I have heard of quite a few cases of persecution within the US soil, so it is already happening and this is why I am asking for advice.

These people are no more than expressing their political (left-wing) views.

Why would there be over 500 applications from US citizens every year to other countries otherwise? Are these people seeking asylum with no sound basis?

Does anyone know of anyone who has had success in this?

Gracias Dawie, I will think about Cuba :)

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:23 pm

Let's put it this way........genuine asylum seekers from some of the most unpleasant and draconian governments in the world, including Iraq, Iran, Russia, Sudan and Zimbabwe are only very reluctantly even considered for asylum by Western governments.

It doesn't matter that you consider the US government to be abusing your rights. Every Western, "1st world" country today has a certain part of its society who consider themselves "persecuted". And this might very well be the case in the US, I'm not one to judge.

But the reality of the geopolitical situation in the world today is that certainly no country in Europe and most of the world would seriously grant an American citizen asylum. It just wouldn't happen. The level of persecution in the US, perceived or otherwise, just does not even compare to the suffering of millions of genuine asylum seekers and refugees around the world.

To suggest otherwise is an insult to the millions of displaced people around the world who genuinely require protection.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

cartaverde

Post by cartaverde » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:17 pm

It would make more sense to just move somewhere inside US where it's LESS Christian and less conservative.
Like California. Or Austin.
Or move to Canada and get a work there.
Or do something the other way around and immigrate illegally to Mexico and work there...

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:54 pm

cartaverde wrote:It would make more sense to just move somewhere inside US where it's LESS Christian and less conservative.
Like California.
Vermont might be a good choice.
Or move to Canada and get a work there.
Americans do not have an automatic right to live/work in Canada.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:05 am

Dawie wrote:Let's put it this way........genuine asylum seekers from some of the most unpleasant and draconian governments in the world, including Iraq, Iran, Russia, Sudan and Zimbabwe are only very reluctantly even considered for asylum by Western governments.

It doesn't matter that you consider the US government to be abusing your rights. Every Western, "1st world" country today has a certain part of its society who consider themselves "persecuted". And this might very well be the case in the US, I'm not one to judge.

But the reality of the geopolitical situation in the world today is that certainly no country in Europe and most of the world would seriously grant an American citizen asylum. It just wouldn't happen. The level of persecution in the US, perceived or otherwise, just does not even compare to the suffering of millions of genuine asylum seekers and refugees around the world.

To suggest otherwise is an insult to the millions of displaced people around the world who genuinely require protection.
Oy Dawie, my missus is from Russia and we both agree Russia is free-er than Uk for sure! No traffic wardens, no nanny state, no traffic calming, no one way systems, no yellow lines! Seriously, I love it there, much like the UK in seventies, slight age of innocence before the real Western make-money-out-of-everyone-asap culture swept in.

I know a US guy who lives in Russia on successive business visas, no problem. He's been there six years now. Speaks not one word of Russian apart from Pivo, Pazhalusta (beer, please...)......

outofhere
Newly Registered

Post by outofhere » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:14 pm

Thanks guys for all your help! V. useful! I will now have to reconsider my options.

Has anyone heard of a success story i.e. an American citizen getting asylum in another country by any chance? I'm just wondering if it's even possible...

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:36 pm

Rather than considering the asylum route, why don't you try for a Work Permit in the country in which you are now living?
John

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:12 pm

Dawie wrote: To suggest otherwise is an insult to the millions of displaced people around the world who genuinely require protection.
Could not agree more with this.

Rogerio.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm an American that got quite a bit more than fed-up with the current situation.

Asylum isn't a serious option for about a dozen reasons, at minimum.

Look into your immigration options. There are many places you can find work and obtain work permit and residency, eventually switch citizenship if you really wish to (I'm putting everything in place to do that myself).

You also need to look into it rather carefully ... it's not a casual decision. Lot's of things to consider and put in place.

The only thing that makes that option more attractive is that attempting asylum is by far more difficult, expenisive and much less assured.

Fundamentally, you need to develop a three to five year plan. If you think you can hop across the border and claim asylum and be done with it .... you really need to look into it C A R E F U L L Y.

Some Factors:

age, education, experience, police record, second/third/etc. languages, family background (where are your ancestors from?), how much do you want to take with you, are you going for a new citizenship ...

And. You'll need money. Unless you find work with a company that will pay for your relocation, you're looking at $10,000 USD to fully relocate and start from scratch for a ballpark figure. It can be far more, or a bit less if you are lucky and careful.

Check out New Zealand. Seriously. They're recruiting hard, if you qualify.

The Admin

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:22 am

US tourist detained in Sweden as asylum seeker

http://www.thelocal.se/7726/

Fairtrade

Post by Fairtrade » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:43 pm

Five US citizens claim asylum in the UK!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... xpand=true

Well if US citizens can claim asylum in the UK then anybody can!! :lol:

blakeb81
Newly Registered

Post by blakeb81 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:36 am

you CAN seek aslyum if you are from the U.S. i was reading the statistics...I can't remember exactly what country...some European country...and they listed the refugee and asylum seekers from each country for that year. And they had U.S. with like 7 people for the whole year who had seeked either asylum or refugee status. So, I know there is a way. I figure tell the truth is the most logical thing. If you fear for your life after 9/11 then there you go.
Last edited by blakeb81 on Thu May 07, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amzad
Newly Registered

Post by amzad » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:11 pm

there was an ex lapd officer who said he was harased by the cia and other u.s. govt officials and ended up getting asylum in venezuela. his application was accepted and hes now a permanent resident.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:17 pm

blakeb81 wrote:After 9/11 I genuinly fear for my life in this country. They had a Muslim in my apartment complex just the other day running around hollering about how he was gonna start shooting up the place.
What's the fact that the guy's muslim got to do with anything? When Timothy Mcvay blew up that building in Oaklahoma, you didn't see anything mentioned about the fact that he was christian. No one said "Some christian guy blew up a building". Nobody started burning down churches or harassing people wearing crosses.

It's not terrorist attacks that America has to watch out for, it's obesity. You're all eating yourselves to death!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:18 pm

I don't want to get into a slanging match here...but the Timothy McVeigh case is trotted out everytime that the Muslim community is asked to keep an eye on their members. McVeigh did not blow up the Oklahoma building saying he was killing non-christians for the cause of Christians persecuted in China or Bangkok,unlike the 9/11 guys,7/11 guys,Madrid guys,recent NHS London/glasgow terrorists,today's Pakistan Red Mosque Mullahs. White does not mean necessarily Christian. white guys can also be maniacs,nazis,white supremacists,wiccans,witches,Hare Krishnas,Hindu,Muslim Bosnian,Atheist,Agnostic,Marxist,Communist,Buddhist or just plain crazy!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:20 am

Interesting statistics of Countries of origin of asylum seekers from the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static ... efault.stm

Im sure amzad will have a good chance of success if he can apply for asylum in Iran or Saudi Arabia...hopefully, they will welcome him with kindness,compassion and offer him citizenship in due time

Praetorian
Newly Registered

Post by Praetorian » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:02 am

Amzad i hate to be mean but you are an absolute moron. First of all where are you from that you are supposedly being "persecuted"? Considering about forty percent of the country agrees with you i cant imagine people throwing stones at you. The liberals are currently in control of the house and the senate so stop being such a crybaby, and go carry a picket sign or something. :cry:

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:34 am

archigabe wrote:Interesting statistics of Countries of origin of asylum seekers from the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static ... efault.stm

Im sure amzad will have a good chance of success if he can apply for asylum in Iran or Saudi Arabia...hopefully, they will welcome him with kindness,compassion and offer him citizenship in due time
I hear Iran is lovely this time of year.