ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Staying for 10 months with a visitors visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

makon

Staying for 10 months with a visitors visa

Post by makon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:36 am

Hello,

Can someone please tell me the 'possible' consequences of staying for 10 months in the UK with a visitors visa.

The person in question is an elderly person, over 60 years old and retired.
She has a visitors visa that still has 8 years to run. She has visited the UK on 2 occasions in the past and has always returned within 6 months. However, this time around there is need for her to stay for 10 months.

When she leaves she wouldn't come to the UK again until 2015.

what I have seen is that you should not stay for more than 6 months with a visit visa, but what if somebody does. Would there be any issues he/she visits again?

Thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Staying for 10 months with a visitors visa

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:45 am

makon wrote:Can someone please tell me the 'possible' consequences of staying for 10 months in the UK with a visitors visa.
Depending on detection of the overstay, it could result in a 12 month ban on re-entry to the UK but with the added problem that future visa applications will be viewed with suspicion as to the applicant's motivation to leave.

It's clear that she is effectively living in the UK in preference to living in her home country so I would urge caution if she wishes to continue enjoying her visits in the future.

makon

Post by makon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks for your response. If the only consequence is the 12 month ban I wouldn't mind as she doesn't intend to come back until 2015. By 2015 she would have been more than 15 months outside the UK, if she stays till July 2013.

However, another school of thought suggests trying to get a Schengen Visa for her to visit the nearest european countrty (France) for a few days to reset the '6 month limit' clock. If she makes that journey in February she would already have spent 5 months in the UK and would be entering the UK again after a few days to spend another 5 months before leaving in July.
What is your view on this approach, please?

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:08 am

That won't work. The rule is no more than 6 months total stay in a 12 month period.

DieselD

Post by DieselD » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:58 pm

makon wrote:Thanks for your response. If the only consequence is the 12 month ban I wouldn't mind as she doesn't intend to come back until 2015. By 2015 she would have been more than 15 months outside the UK, if she stays till July 2013.

However, another school of thought suggests trying to get a Schengen Visa for her to visit the nearest european countrty (France) for a few days to reset the '6 month limit' clock. If she makes that journey in February she would already have spent 5 months in the UK and would be entering the UK again after a few days to spend another 5 months before leaving in July.
What is your view on this approach, please?

Thanks
Just guessing here, but the ban may be imposed only when she applies for a visa in 2015. Meaning she can only reapply in 2016 or when the ban ends.

ajmal

Re: Staying for 10 months with a visitors visa

Post by ajmal » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:22 pm

makon wrote:Hello,

Can someone please tell me the 'possible' consequences of staying for 10 months in the UK with a visitors visa.

The person in question is an elderly person, over 60 years old and retired.
She has a visitors visa that still has 8 years to run. She has visited the UK on 2 occasions in the past and has always returned within 6 months. However, this time around there is need for her to stay for 10 months.

When she leaves she wouldn't come to the UK again until 2015.

what I have seen is that you should not stay for more than 6 months with a visit visa, but what if somebody does. Would there be any issues he/she visits again?

Thanks
Apply for extension under FLR(O) form if she wants to stay more then 6 months

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:18 am

or apply for citizenship! What other types of application can we list which have absolutely no merit or possibility of approval?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Applying for citizenship will not engage Section 3C.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:19 pm

I was being sarcastic Vinny! The OP makes no mention that he wants to benefit from section 3c (even if he knows what that is!) and the subsequent post about FLR(O) seems to indicate that such an application to extend a visit has merit and would be approved. It has not and would not.

Besides, a frivolous application of that sought would severely hamper any future entry clearance applications.