ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Length time of visa for 10yrs long residence

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sailesh

Length time of visa for 10yrs long residence

Post by sailesh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:44 pm

hi am just wondering according to the new rules if someone applying for the 10 yrs route long residence what sort of visa is given that ie like student is one yr to 3 yrs What about the 10yrs ILR how long will the visa valid will the person has got to take citizenship or can stay for ever as permanent residence
thanks

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Not so much a 'visa', ILR is a 'settlement' status, similar to Green Card in USA.

You can choose to stay in UK indefinitely without acquiring British Citizenship after ILR. But if you have ILR through 10 yr route, upon meeting other conditions, you can apply for British Citizenship (Naturalization) after completing 12 months in ILR status.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

sailesh

Post by sailesh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:36 pm

thanks for the quick reply but i want to know how long visa do they give u a year 2 yrs or indifinate as if i dont want citizenship will i have to apply again and again so it is just for life whether i choose to be a citizen or not as i will definately costing money to renew it each yrs just want to know it so that to plan for the future money thanks
Last edited by sailesh on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:40 pm

ILR: Indefinite Leave to Remain.

You are expected to make UK your primary home.

The BRP card itself (only thing you would normally carry around probably, and shows your SETTLEMENT status) has a life of 10 years, after which it could be renewed/updated with new biometrics.

sailesh

Post by sailesh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:43 pm

yes i do understand it but for how many yrs do they grant you leave to stay according to the rule sorry to be a pain but my budget is low and i need to look where am spending less please thanks

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Sorry to be a pain, but which part of INDEFINITE do you not understand?

Basically, you won't need a visa again to enter UK as long as you have at least the ILR status.

sailesh

Post by sailesh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:46 pm

wpilr_nov12 wrote:ILR: Indefinite Leave to Remain.

You are expected to make UK your primary home.

The BRP card itself (only thing you would normally carry around probably, and shows your SETTLEMENT status) has a life of 10 years[/b], after which it could be renewed/updated with new biometrics.

do i understand i will get indifinate for 10 yrs

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:49 pm

When is ILR not indefinite? The answer is .... when the ILR holder has been outside the UK for a continuous period exceeding two years.

Also, whenever the ILR holder re-enters the UK it must be for the purpose of "resuming residence". So if the person starts to use their ILR like some glorified visitor visa, they could well encounter difficulties.
John