ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM via naturalised mother?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

magsrevs
Newly Registered

UKM via naturalised mother?

Post by magsrevs » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:17 am

Hello all,

I have a query regarding applying for British Citizenship through UKM means (I have already applied, but just wondering if someone could confirm my thoughts/reasoning).

My history:
My mother was born in Indonesia (1943) to Hungarian parents; after the end of the second world war they were stateless and became New Zealand citizens.
My mother moved to London in the 1960s and became naturalised as a British citizen in 1969 (I have her naturalisation certificate). She later moved to Australia.
My father is a fifth-generation Australian.
My parents married in Australia in 1977 and I was born in Australia in 1979.

In the current UKM guidelines on the UKBA website, there are four requirements to meet in order to be entitled to register as a British citizen:

1) you were born before 1 January 1983; and
2) you would have become a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by descent if women had been able to pass on citizenship to their children in the same way as men at the time of your birth; and
3) had you become a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies, you would then have had the right of abode in the United Kingdom; and
4) the Secretary of State is satisfied that you are of good character.

Point 1: I was born before 1983 (1979)
Point 4: I am of good character (honest!)

which leaves points 2 and 3.

In the accompanying notes in the guide, it states:

You will meet the second requirement if at the time of your birth:
(a) your mother was:
born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the United Kingdom and
Colonies;

At the time of my birth (1979), my mother had been naturalised in the United Kingdom (1969)

You will meet the third requirement if:
(i) your mother was, at the time of your birth, a citizen of the United Kingdom and
Colonies by birth, legal adoption, naturalisation or registration* in the United
Kingdom

At the time of my birth (1979), my mother had been naturalised in the United Kingdom (1969)

So, to my mind, I meet points 2 and 3 (by virtue of the phrases in bold), thus I think I'm eligible. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I've done quite a bit of internet research, but am yet to come across someone in similar circumstances - surely there are others out there in the same boat!

Thanks,
Rich

magsrevs
Newly Registered

Post by magsrevs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 pm

anyone?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:23 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

magsrevs
Newly Registered

Post by magsrevs » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:56 am

Thanks so much for that - although I still find it a bit confusing, after following it all through and reading the various acts, I think I should be ok.

I'll post an update when I find out more!

Cheers,
Rich

magsrevs
Newly Registered

Post by magsrevs » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:52 pm

... and just an update in case anyone in a similar position is interested in my case, yesterday (March 6, 2013) I received confirmation that I can register as a British citizen, so everything worked out fine!